Dixie Chicks

Hey guys!
Help me (please) cut through some reading... reasons a hen would have a red swollen back end? I'm not sold on water belly (astitice? omg I can't spell it)

Ascites, lol... got pic? How is she acting? Laying?
First things off top of my head, egg bound, internal laying, ruptured egg internally, mites, diarrhea causing irritatation...

I'll get a pic. She is out and about, keeping up with the flock but sort of waddling. A bit of a poopy butt. While roosting I can see she is breathing faster. As far as I know from daily egg counts she is laying, but I have had 3 soft shell in the last few days, laid from the roost, that may be hers. Might be a bit to get pics she's not one of my friendly girls... though if their in trouble they usually let me pick them up
Thanx Ravyn

Well getting pictures was easy. I'm glad I took a moment to, because this is not one of my one-year-old girls as I thought this girl is at least three years old. Her name is Ethel. Sort of a bird of unknown origin, she has curled toes which to me say poor genes or poor quality care in early life. The swollen area is very firm. Her stool looks normal. She's in isolation now. I just treated for mites etc after finding lice on a chick.
Could be ascites, could be a few things.

Attachments

• IMG_9997.JPG
    IMG_9997.JPG
    739.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    276.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    264.5 KB · Views: 6
I'll get a pic. She is out and about, keeping up with the flock but sort of waddling. A bit of a poopy butt. While roosting I can see she is breathing faster. As far as I know from daily egg counts she is laying, but I have had 3 soft shell in the last few days, laid from the roost, that may be hers. Might be a bit to get pics she's not one of my friendly girls... though if their in trouble they usually let me pick them up
Thanx Ravyn

Very welcome, hope we can help...

Well getting pictures was easy. I'm glad I took a moment to, because this is not one of my one-year-old girls as I thought this girl is at least three years old. Her name is Ethel. Sort of a bird of unknown origin, she has curled toes which to me say poor genes or poor quality care in early life. The swollen area is very firm. Her stool looks normal. She's in isolation now. I just treated for mites etc after finding lice on a chick.

Other thing is, could be tumor... I'm gonna tag Kathy, see what she thinks too...
@casportpony any ideas, please???

Very welcome, hope we can help...

Ascites, lol... got pic? How is she acting? Laying?
First things off top of my head, egg bound, internal laying, ruptured egg internally, mites, diarrhea causing irritatation...

Other thing is, could be tumor... I'm gonna tag Kathy, see what she thinks too...
@casportpony any ideas, please???

First thing that came to my mind was ascites, but it could also be a tumor, or some sort or seriously bad reproductive tract infection. If she were mine and I thought the belly was full of fluid I would drain it. Once drained you might be able to palpate cancer or repro-tract issues.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom