Diy boiler food? Justin Rhodes recipi??

Chicona

Chirping
May 22, 2022
I have layers and broilers and I’m making soy free organic food myself
so far I’ve been making Justin’s Rhodes recipie but I’m wondering if it’s enough ?
somany guides and all so different I am struggling to find the “right” one

I’ve got his guide

food is
30%corn 30%wheat 20% peas 10% oat 10% meat meal
boosters oregano garlic and cayenne
kelp and crab shell for minerals

but can’t workout if there layers guide or broilers as it talks about layers but says broilers need higher proteins and doesn’t say anything about another recipie ?
I don’t wanna be under or over feeding anyone but atm
the only difference I see in layers recipies is egg shells

@rjohns39
Did you have a recipe for soy free broiler?
The above is a soy free but I want to check in regards to it being said as a basic recipie and nowhere states the protine % so I don’t know if I can add or take away

I conclude this I believe it to be 16-18% if any one can confirm

The above is a soy free but I want to check in regards to it being said as a basic recipie and nowhere states the protine % so I don’t know if I can add or take away

I conclude this I believe it to be 16-18% if any one can confirm
@rjohns39 has recipes and a formula for how much protein

Google "feed ration calculator" and use one of them to calculate the protein content based on your recipe (ignore the herbs and whatnot, just use the maine ingredients in the calculator (ie corn, wheat, oats, peas, meat meal). If the protein content isn't above 20% then you need a mix with more protein for broiler. 22% would be ideal.
16% would be ok for layers.
This is just referencing the protein content. The other nutritive factors should be considered as well.

What are you paying for the Justin Rhodes mix? What are you using for meat meal? To increase the protein just add extra meat meal.
I buy grains from a horse farm in brown bags and meal meat I was thinking to use rabbit meat it’s high protine lower fat lil more cholesterol but had a ton more minerals than chicken and fish meals

i get bruised oats as there more nutritious
I get micronised peas cause the nutrients bioavalibilitybis more digestible and useable seen study’s vs soy where micronised peas beat them and with better health
I get micronized corn as the starch is more digestible and causes less compactation study showed it better on the gut and helps not only consume less but put more weight on
I get whole wheat grains as they need them whole for enzyme activity to work getting mashed or micronized wheats showed in study’s to not be as beneficial as when consumed whole or cracked

then I hunt rabbit they love the guts and skin bits but thinking if I cooked the meat and dehydrated it it can blend to bits to mix
or chuck em a rabbit carcas lol

Last edited:
Interesting, seems like a lot of extra work and expense just to feed chickens. I just pull the string off the bag and use a scoop :D
Just curious, what is your reason for mixing your own? Do you have problems with them just picking out the bits they prefer and leaving the rest?

Seems like broilers grow slower on soy free.
There used to be a farmer with a feed mill locally selling mash until last year. A byc member got soy free broiler from him. The broilers were slow to put on weight. I said they should be healthier.

I fermented overnight and it sticks together so it harder to pick out

Some folks notice a difference in their health when they dont meat meat raised on mainly soy protein. It's a pretty ecologically conscious way to raise chickens. Takes a little extra time and some times it's often times more expensive - pound for pound - but there are people who believe strongly enough in participating in agriculture in a better way, that they are willing to suffer through mixing their own feed and other such inconveniences for their own health and peace of mind.

Back
Top Bottom