MarlyMonster

Songster
Oct 24, 2018
In preparation for my hatching experiment I figured I’d get a head start and get working on a brooder box for when the chicks hatch. While looking online for a brooder I noticed they all are either expensive or just don’t look durable. So I figured I’d make my own!

It’s super cheap and it only took me a day to put together.

Here’s what you need:

IKEA Skubb storage box (93cm x 55cm x 19cm) - $12.99

Shower Curtain - $3.99 (dollar/discount store)

Needle and heavy duty thread (in my country we call it steel thread, not sure what it’s called in English)

6098C4D0-2795-4CD4-8A71-70661F10BD6C.jpeg

This is the box when unfolded before modifying it (don’t mind the bronc saddle lol)

How to make it:

Simply unfold the box and roll up the zipper flap to close it. I secured it with a couple stitches so should I ever need to close it I can just cut the thread and unroll it.

Unfold your shower curtain and lay it into the storage box. I pinned it into place myself so it wouldn’t slide and I could get an idea of where to start sewing.

Once it’s pinned in place cut some of the excess plastic away for a cleaner work area.

Now just start sewing!

I started with the bottom myself, then moved onto the sides.

The corners I did last since you’re left with these big flaps of plastic.

C34F3752-EC3B-4D54-B728-0D982F2DE8E4.jpeg

Since I messed up when cutting those off I opted for melting the edges a little with a lighter and pressing it into the box so there’s no loose things for the chicks to peck at. See image below for details.

7F474489-020A-43AD-89A1-7ED1257E96FF.jpeg

Marker with red is where I stitched the plastic in place. Marker in yellow is where I melted the plastic and stuck it together to avoid loose corners.

Now all you need is to add your non-slip bedding on top and you’re good to go!

Hope this was useful for people looking to make a brooder on a budget themselves :)

Feel free to message if something is unclear!

Marly

Attachments

• 0D2361E6-BB35-42DF-B5D0-3F97AB602D94.jpeg
    0D2361E6-BB35-42DF-B5D0-3F97AB602D94.jpeg
    407.6 KB · Views: 34
It looks like you did a nice job on it. Its a good idea, I love the sewn in plastic lining.
But it seems awfully shallow - how long are you planning on keeping chicks in there?

AND I was admiring the bronc saddle before I even finished reading your directions, lol!

Yes it’s definitely very shallow, I’ll only be using this for like the first week or so! I’ve looked into getting that roll of cardboard they sell at TSC for brooder rings for the next stage, but since I’m a softy I’m scared they’ll be too cold when they’re so tiny so I have this to make myself feel better LOL

I’ll let my brother know you like his saddle! This was his very first season as a saddle bronc rider and he kicked ass

It looks like you did a nice job on it. Its a good idea, I love the sewn in plastic lining.
But it seems awfully shallow - how long are you planning on keeping chicks in there?

AND I was admiring the bronc saddle before I even finished reading your directions, lol!

Back
Top Bottom