My experience in building a diy automatic door

robherr

Chirping
11 Years
Sep 28, 2011
Southern California
My Coop
My Coop
So I have viewed posts on here and other places on how to build a diy automatic coop door, so I thought I'd give it a try. I'm fairly handy so I figured it couldn't be to hard. I liked the idea of making one completely out of recycled and scrap materials but I ended up buying an actuator and relay online. I didn't want to hassle work trying to figure out how to get a washing machine motor to open a door etc.

I did use as much surplus material that I could. I started with a piece of hard thick plastic for the door, and two wall shelf hangers for the rails, set on two boards.
ll20230530_174404.jpg

Then I used a couple old tool box for the main housing as I wanted it semi water proof. I cut out the side of one of the boxes and that would become the opening on the bottom.
ll20230530_174349.jpg

It worked out well as there was a "shelf" for the relay to sit on.
ll20230530_190836.jpg

I attached the actuator to the plastic and the top to the inside of the box, wired up the relay (more on that later).
ll20230615_175249.jpg

Lessons learned:
The wiring was more difficult than I thought. This was my first experience with relays and finding a wiring diagram for my exact relay on line was non existant... A lot of trial and error. Polarity matters, getting positive and negative correct was key to making it work. I'll pay a detail of the wiring next once I make a diagram

finding a wiring diagram for my exact relay on line was non existant...

Jun 23, 2023 By that date I have had at least 5 different ways to wire that same Relay and socket configuration. Ticks me off a bit that the same ole' wiring diagrams are always first in google search.

JFYI It is not hard at all.

Back
Top Bottom