DIY brooder

Mine is just a wooden box, roughly 3x6 and 2 1/2 feet high. About the size of a screen door which used to be the top about 30 years ago. A brooder can be simple as a cardboard box or a kiddie pool to elaborate wooden structures.

I use a cardboard box for the first few days in my garage, to keep a better eye on them. Then it's out to the coop brooder. I use the mama heat pad, not a heat lamp.
brooder with mama heat pad.jpg
20180324_165029.jpg

I use a kiddie pool with wire shelves we had laying around ziptied together as the sides. When not in use, we can fold up the ring of wire shelves and dump the pool. We eventually got a smaller heater plate to use in the pool so it wasn't taking up ALL the space.
IMG_6476.JPG

I'm going to try my hand at making a wire brooder 30 x 36 x 24h. After my first year with a cedar hope chest brooder and wood chips, I am looking to get away from wood and bedding material. I also wanted a wire brooder that could double as a grow pen, which no one seems to offer short of a GQF stack. I need to order some stainless steel j hooks and pliers from Klubertanz first before I can get started.

Back
Top Bottom