DIY cricket trap to catch fresh feed for your girls!!!

mat2dong

Songster
7 Years
Jun 17, 2012
I am always trying to feed my girls fresh food and so I built this little cricket trap. It was very easy to build and it works great:) I just set my traps, put some fruit or rotting veggies in them and collect the crickets in the mornings!

Try it out you guys and tell me what you think!

Follow the link to my blog where I have more info on building it and a video:)

http://homefarmideas.blogspot.com/2012/08/cricket-trap.html

Last edited:
goodpost.gif
I use the same set-up as a fly/wasp catcher, but I'd never thought to try it for crickets! When I use it for flies, I have the top in as a funnel to keep them from flying back out, and I stick a little apple cider vinegar in the bottom to attract and drown them.

:goodpost: I use the same set-up as a fly/wasp catcher, but I'd never thought to try it for crickets! When I use it for flies, I have the top in as a funnel to keep them from flying back out, and I stick a little apple cider vinegar in the bottom to attract and drown them.

Cool!! The good thing about dead bugs is chickens will still eat them;) LoL!! The cider vinegar has got to be good for your girls as well.

I've never actually fed the dead flies out of the trap, I just use the ACV because I noticed the flies were really attracted to their mash with ACV in it, so it works well for bait and drowns them in the process. I leave a trap out for about a week and by the end it's full of dead soggy flies and looks really gnarly so I toss it...I'd always thought of the traps as great fly control, not really as a source for chicken snacks :p.

I've never actually fed the dead flies out of the trap, I just use the ACV because I noticed the flies were really attracted to their mash with ACV in it, so it works well for bait and drowns them in the process. I leave a trap out for about a week and by the end it's full of dead soggy flies and looks really gnarly so I toss it...I'd always thought of the traps as great fly control, not really as a source for chicken snacks :p.
If you can get lots of flies your girls would love it:)

I try to not kill them because live is way better because the girls love it when there food moves! LOL!!

Wheeee, sounds great! I made one today using some strawberries and bananas and cardboard, put it in the tall grass. I have a pet toad in our house, so he'll be grateful for what I catch, too.

Wheeee, sounds great! I made one today using some strawberries and bananas and cardboard, put it in the tall grass. I have a pet toad in our house, so he'll be grateful for what I catch, too.
LOL!! Right on:) Make sure to post some photo's of what you catch!

Back
Top Bottom