DIY forage seed mix... sorghum OK?

micstrachan

Addict
8 Years
Apr 10, 2016
Santa Cruz Mountains, California
I’ve been throwing LOTS of seed since October in an attempt to grow pasture for my little flock and they love it! I’ve been getting a chicken forage blend, plus grass seed mixes, and even occasional sprouting seeds meant for human consumption. I don’t bother covering it, so the chickens and wild birds end up eating a bunch of it before it gets a chance to sprout. No biggie on the grass seed, as it’s inexpensive. However, the other stuff is getting pricey. So I’m going to try making my own mix. Since the soy-free, corn-free grower feed my girls love has a first ingredient of milo, I was thinking of adding sorghum to my homemade seed mix. Are milo and sorghum the same thing? Any reason not to throw sorghum? I think it gets huge like corn, but can’t imagine it ever getting that big in my yard, as the chickens will eat most of it, plus I mow it. Just thinking whatever seed makes it into sprouts might be super nutritious and protein rich. Thoughts?

I should also mention my girls are ALWAYS on a quality grower feed. My flock only gets supervised free range time, so foraging is bonus nutrition and entertainment on weekdays after I get home from work (an hour or two) and several hours on weekends. It is NOT the primary food source, but more of a nutritious treat.

Well, shoot. Now I’m reading sorghum is considered low grade and cheap. The organic, non GMO, corn free, soy free feed my chickens eat, which has milo (sorghum) as the first ingredient, is THE most expensive option at our local feed store. Wondering if I should rethink this, but my flock loves it.

Millet, Milo, and Sorghum are similar but not necessarily the same thing. All 3 are a relatively poor feed grain but grow good on poor ground, in hot climates, and in drought conditions. Used as a livestock feed these grains are often feed as silage or cut for hay.

When planting sorghum be very, very, sure that you are not planting a bird resistant variety of grain sorghum. Bird resistant sorghum has a HIGH acid content that is intended to put off birds eating the standing grain heads until the farmer can get his equipment into the field to cut or combine it. Don't ask how I found out about this nugget of information.

Back
Top Bottom