DIY herb aquaponics fish tank

chickenlover22345

The enthusiast that likes fish and chooks
Aug 31, 2023
Perth, Australia
I know that aquaponics is part of sustainable gardening, but this includes fish as well. How do I make an indoor aquaponics system using a 29 gallon fish tank?

29 gallons are 131 liter, so is a respectable sized tank. Each goldfish would need 40 liter. Make the maths

In Australia you could use many of the wonderful native fishes also. If your goal is to produce food, you will need a bigger tank and cichlids like Tilapia. Goldfish is very so-so as food.

Are you wanting to grow fish for food? Before getting into Cornish cross I ventured into growing tilapia. I quickly found that it would be a cool hobby but pricey and unlikely to produce adequate quantities of meat per cost of food. Tilapia need tropical temps… so can get very pricey to heat. I decided against tilapia when I learned that the balance of Omega fatty acids was actually pro inflammatory, and I’m prone to arthritis. I dipped my toes into aquaculture starting with breeding tropical fish with my young daughter. I made a sealed room in our basement to hold in the heat and moisture. I even found a way to condition rain water from our cisterns to use for the fish, and used the waste water to feed plants in the garden. It was expensive to keep the fish fed. Eventually I found someone growing blue gills, to avoid the heating expense and that was intriguing… then I discovered the cob 500 Cornish cross and that changed everything for meat production in our urban homestead. The cost per pound was low, the Cobb 500 is lively and reliable, growing fast with consistent productivity… and the fertilizer they produce is ideal for gardening once it goes through the composter.

I can see how growing fish as part of a circle of nutrients for growing herbs would be attractive as a creative outlet, we have a planted aquarium with grow lights in a sort of “bio-dome” and it’s very interesting but so far, I have not seen compelling numbers worthy of growing fish indoors for meat.

Back
Top Bottom