DIY liner for Little Giant bator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by happyhens, Mar 1, 2009.

1. happyhens

happyhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    KY
    The last Little Giant bator I had got really nasty after only one hatch. It was a nightmare to clean and was stained really bad. I have a new one now and was just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to make a cheap liner that I can just throw away after hatch. Or maybe one that is easier to clean after the hatch than the styrofoam is. Any ideas? Thanks.

2. reallemons1

reallemons1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Gloucester, VA
    I read online somewhere about someone who rubbed a thin layer bathroom caulk, clear 100% silicone, on the bottoms of the styrofoam LG incubators. I did this on mine and it works very well. It seals the pores and cleans up very well. Let it cure out for 7 days before using the incubator.

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I've used seranwrap (sp) on the bottom.

4. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    alot of folks here use shelf liners

5. Hi! Try Saran / plastic wrap --- just make sure you poke appropriate holes in the wrap for air-flow. I have a LG bottom I HAVE to line because the troughs leak --- it's awkward and a pain, but clean-up is a little easier. It still gets a dunk in a tub of bleach-water after use.
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

6. happyhens

Jan 30, 2007
    KY
    Thanks to all. I covered the bottom with saran wrap last night, and I also intend to use a shelf liner over the hardware cloth because it seems like it would be more comfortable for the chicks. Woohoo I am almost ready to set the eggs in there! [​IMG]

7. happyhens

Jan 30, 2007
    KY
    Quote:I'll have to get some of that and try it. For this hatch I went with saran wrap though, because I already had that here. Pretty horse avator. S/he's gorgeous!

8. reallemons1

reallemons1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Gloucester, VA
    Thanks [​IMG] !The horse is my Paint Breeding Stock mare Misty. I owned her mother, also a buckskin, for 14 years. Misty is now 12, she is a great gal, loving, kind and a dependable riding partner.

Be sure to use the 100% silicone and cure for the full 7 days. Wear plastic disposable gloves and apply in a well ventilated area, outside is best. That stuff smells strong.

9. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    A trash bag will work better than the saran wrap. You can get a box of the cheap ones to use just for this purpose. They are disposable and keep the bottom much cleaner!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by