DIY NoCrow collar; It works!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

My neighbor gifted me a Light Brahma rooster. I had not planned on owning a rooster, but it was a gift. Man, is he ever LOUD! Not wanting to attract negativity from certain neighbors, I researched Google for "How to make a rooster stop crowing" and to my surprise, yes, there are ways to accomplish this.

There were several NoCrow collar options. Mind you, they do not guarantee that your rooster will no longer crow, but the sound will be much quieter. Since I don't have a ton of money and didn't want to wait 5-10 days for a package to arrive in the mail, I drove to my local fabric store (Joann's) to look at Velcro products. I found just the right item.

I cut enough of the Velcro Brand One-Wrap to fit comfortably on the rooster's neck, used scissors to round the 4 corners, and put the collar loosely on the rooster. He wasn't sure what had just happened and thought about pecking at the collar but I grabbed hold of one of the hens and when the hen started squawking loudly, the rooster forgot about the collar and came to see if the hen was okay.

After about an hour I readjusted the collar to make it a bit tighter. Then I put the tether and leash on the rooster and took him for a short walk. One more time I tightened the collar. The point is to have it tight enough to restrict the air that created the loud crowing but not so tight to hurt the bird. One more walk on the leash for a photo op.

So, the DIY NoCrow collar worked for me. He did not crow at all during the night. His first audible crow happened at 5:15 am and it was quiet enough for me. I'll leave the collar as is for now and may try to tighten it one more time in a few days. There are many people selling NoCrow collars so you can feel confident that they do work to at least reduce the volume.
Rooster tether, No Crow collar smaller size 141855643.jpg
Rooster NoCrow collar side view IMG_20190113_142525418_HDR.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
EggSighted4Life,
Um, I don't know you so I really don't know how to respond to what you said.

First of all, this rooster crowed very loudly all night and all day and now that I have added the collar, I was finally able to sleep through the night for the first time. I'm happy that your roosters do not crow at night.

The next thing is...um, thanks for judging my neighbor so harshly when you do not have a clue who she is or how she takes care of her animals. There is nothing rude or insensitive about my neighbor; she and her entire family watch out for me as I live alone, am old and handicapped.
Oh, and when she needs help with her dogs she calls on me as she thinks I am a dog whisperer. We help each other. She hatched out a batch of eggs and ended up with 5 roosters too many. There was nothing wrong with this rooster at all. She gave me the best of the 5 and there is nothing 'challenging' about this bird. You seem to think she was discarding garbage. She's doing her best to find good homes for these guys and wants them to go to good homes. I was honored to receive the gift.

Sorry if I read your words wrong but this is a beautiful young rooster and I hope to keep him a good long time.

Good looking guy! I hope you get to keep him!
Yep, I never planned on having a rooster but now that he is here, I sure do hope I can keep him. The noise was beyond loud; it even woke the dogs inside the house so no one got any sleep, not even the rabbits!!

How does the collar actually work again?
I looked it up online so I don't know how to explain it. If you think of a frog when they swell up that big air sack before they start croaking, it's kind of like that, but for a rooster. They have to fill 'something or other' with air to belt out a really large sound. Limit the amount of air and it mutes some or all of the sound. They can still eat, drink, make the hens happy, and all that, they just do it a bit more quietly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom