DIY raised duck pond

We buried an old boat. Added a valve from the back drain and buried a 4” drain.
The river rock around the edge keeps a lot of junk out, and netting overhead catches most of the leaves and debris.

And on the subject of treated lumber, all my chicken pens are built with treated, especially anything that touches the ground, and I haven’t had any issues with it.
20977A8F-E5A4-4D90-92E3-697ED7384ADF.jpeg

75D5F921-D235-477B-908E-286855E3AC41.jpeg

We buried an old boat. Added a valve from the back drain and buried a 4” drain.
The river rock around the edge keeps a lot of junk out, and netting overhead catches most of the leaves and debris.

And on the subject of treated lumber, all my chicken pens are built with treated, especially anything that touches the ground, and I haven’t had any issues with it.
View attachment 1734262
View attachment 1734263
So cute! Hey why not right! How does it drain out? Where does the water go?

Hey there, I have been a member for a long time but not active. I keep both chickens and ducks, in the same run, and recently built a raised duck pond for my ducks. I've used kiddie pools for years as well as those black plastic things found in feed stores, all did the job but I wanted something different. I wanted something that would drain away from my run, be deep enough for the ducks to really enjoy and also look good at the same time. I did not want anything that would require digging or something put into the ground either. I searched the web everywhere and could not find exactly what it was I wanted so I took several different things I did see and like and and came up with this idea. Using a cast iron tub I bought off FB for $25, some PVC plumbing, a ball valve, and 2x6s I was able to build it for under $100. Its really a very easy project and i have all the details in a video i made on my IG page @liveoaksfarmhouse if interested in building your own. Using the tub slightly elevated allows me to use the existing drain hole to easily and quickly empty it, and using the ball valve outside the tub allows me to very easily and quickly empty the tub with the drain pipe flushing the dirty water out into the field outside the run keeping my run nice and dry. I have no ramp but tree stumps and the ducks have no problem getting in and out on their own. They love sleeping on the ledge as well. I will be adding some river rock along the bottom where the gap is as I put the wood on pavers so it wasn't sitting in the sand. View attachment 1733009 View attachment 1733021
That is so Kool, I will have to show this to my daughter who has ducks!

I have to say I'm jealous
You can make yourself one, so very easy to do even for a beginner. I have a detailed video on it. You wouldn't even need to do the fancy way we did the corners. A circular saw and a jigsaw and a drill and you are all set as far as the wood part goes. The PVC plumbing and all that is very easy too and the video shows more on how it's done. I used a cast iron tub for durability and because I got it so cheap of FB marketplace, but I dont see why a fiberglass tub wouldnt work, if you live in areas with really cold winters im not sure how it would be but I'm sure it would work just fine.

So cute! Hey why not right! How does it drain out? Where does the water go?

Thanks! We enlarged the regular boat drain hole in the back and attached a valve, buried inside a bucket, then buried 4” drain line. It drains over a hill, into the woods. I routed another pipe from my gutter to refill it with rain water.
There are progress build pictures in the “My Coop” link up under my avatar, if anyone wants to see more. (Turn sideways if on mobile)

Back
Top Bottom