DIY Thread - Let's see your "Inventions".

That's what I do too. I'm too lazy to make it complicated. I have found the darker buckets (from Lowes) prevent algae growth (though putting the waterer in permanent shade is even better).

I love the dark blue Lowes buckets, it takes them months before they start to get algae, and if they are in the shade at least part of the day, I've had it take over 9 month before anything grows. The orange Home Depot buckets by comparison get algae in about the 1/3 of that time span.

How do you check the level?

How do you fill it?

On my buckets I can see how full they are moving around until the bucket is back lit by the sun, then I can see the water level through the plastic. If that doesn't work, when the water level in the base piece is below the hold in the bucket, it's empty :) Or just wiggling the bucket, you start to get a feel for how full it is by how heavy it is to move.

To fill it, pick the bucket up, flip it right side up, pop the lid off, and fill it. Then snap the lid back on, and flip it back over into the bottom piece. Some people cut a hose sized hole right in the middle of the lid so they can fill it without taking the lid off. When you flip the bucket back over a little water will come out of this hole, but as soon as you get the bucket set into the base piece and the hole is covered with water, it stops coming out.

You can purchase a tool to easily pop the tops off the buckets, as a kid growing up my dad made something similar just cut from a heavy piece of plywood. It would be easy to cut the basic shape then use a couple of roofing nails for the extra "grab" under the lip that this tool has.

How do you check the level?

How do you fill it?
To fill it you take the bucket and put it right-side-up and fill it. Easy. Then put the pan on top of it so that the whole thing is now upside-down from its working position. Easy. Now flip the whole thing over while keeping the two pieces together. Easy for some, not so easy for others.

Last edited:
If you apply the proper pressure with your knee to the center of the lid the edged come up rather easy.
And that tool is called a lid key if anyone needs to search it.

I will have to try this, I use my hand in the middle, which helps sometimes, but the knee sounds like it would create more leverage.

Here's one I did.

Just sit in a deepish pan with a hole drilled in the side.

Why not put the bucket in the pan right side up, with a hole drilled in the bottom on the side and lift the lid to fill it? does it have to be upside down for some reason? Just drill and air hole towards the top?

Back
Top Bottom