DIY Thread - Let's see your "Inventions".

yes hubby put a nail through his finger and I drilled through my hand. both need respect.

no one had to go to the hospital or anything and hos finger nail grew back. I still have spots of blood dried up on the concrete hehe

yes hubby put a nail through his finger and I drilled through my hand. both need respect.

no one had to go to the hospital or anything and hos finger nail grew back. I still have spots of blood dried up on the concrete hehe

Recently when I put my bench together I used a drill to screw in the screws. I hit my hand with the drill. Fortunately it didn't go through, but I asked my granddaughter if she could tell what kind of head was on the screws. She looks at my hand and said "Phillips head". She was right. It took a while, but it has healed.

Quote:
You can never be too careful with a nail gun. Especially if you are using a powerful framing nailer. I have been on many-o-job and seen more nails through hands and fingers than I would like to admit. And, if you think a hammer or drill is any safer, I have seen people put drill bits through their fingers and hands as well and broken thumbs from a hammer. Take it all in stride I guess. I like the nailer and tend to over build when I use it, unlike screws, I use sparingly.
I love power tools, but yes caution is a good idea. My ex ran a power drill through his finger, shredding tendons and leaving a dangling mess where the finger had been. Beer was involved. Lesson 1, power tools and alcohol don't mix. I wrapped up the finger, and rushed him to the nearest hospital ER. Several hours later I was told that the hospital could not provide the needed plastic surgeon. So I rushed him to a hospital in a larger nearby city. Lesson 2, skip the small town hospital with a serious power tool injury. After several more hours of waiting, the plastic surgeon showed up. But there was no surgical nurse. We had been told that the best outcome required surgery ASAP. So, I told the surgeon that I have assisted vets in on-farm surgeries such as gelding colts. I think by this time I was PO-ed enough that my tone of voice may have implied a threat to castrate something besides a horse. ;) But I told the surgeon that I could assist and it would be better to do that than leave the dangling mass of finger un-repaired. Lesson 3, stating the obvious with firmness can get results - the surgeon agreed. I washed up with the surgeon, he pointed out which items he needed, and I helped out. Lesson 4, if you are going to have an accident with power tools, make sure your spouse has a very strong stomach for dealing with gore. :p The finger came out OK, with almost full functionality and only a little bit crooked.

Last edited:
I love power tools, but yes caution is a good idea. My ex ran a power drill through his finger, shredding tendons and leaving a dangling mess where the finger had been. Beer was involved. Lesson 1, power tools and alcohol don't mix.

I wrapped up the finger, and rushed him to the nearest hospital ER. Several hours later I was told that the hospital could not provide the needed plastic surgeon. So I rushed him to a hospital in a larger nearby city. Lesson 2, skip the small town hospital with a serious power tool injury.

After several more hours of waiting, the plastic surgeon showed up. But there was no surgical nurse. We had been told that the best outcome required surgery ASAP. So, I told the surgeon that I have assisted vets in on-farm surgeries such as gelding colts. I think by this time I was PO-ed enough that my tone of voice may have implied a threat to castrate something besides a horse.
wink.png
But I told the surgeon that I could assist and it would be better to do that than leave the dangling mass of finger un-repaired. Lesson 3, stating the obvious with firmness can get results - the surgeon agreed.

I washed up with the surgeon, he pointed out which items he needed, and I helped out. Lesson 4, if you are going to have an accident with power tools, make sure your spouse has a very strong stomach for dealing with gore.
tongue.png

The finger came out OK, with almost full functionality and only a little bit crooked.

I could not imagine the paperwork required following allowing you to assist. As a hospital administrator I shudder. Still I am glad it worked out ok for your Ex. I guess you van always tell him you gave him the finger

I am 99% certain that the paperwork left out the part about my assistance. I cannot imagine that he would have included that detail! He could have had trouble with the hospital. But given my line of work, I suspect the surgeon did not want to refuse to do the surgery because the hospital was understaffed on a Sunday. He probably figured he'd more likely get sued if he refused to do it than if we proceeded - smart man! :)

Quote:
Colburg: About that tool up there: So you can hold onto the sleeve while the drill is goin' round?

Rojo: Yeah for purple! I sprayed BluKote (misnamed for sure - the stuff is P.U.R.P.L.E.) on some bare backs, hoping that they would leave each other alone (It didn't help because it rubbed off too quick) but of course my aim isn't too great and now the chickens have purple feathers! haha They are kind of pretty! Glad it was purple, not some ugly green or yellow! lol

Quote:

Colburg: About that tool up there: So you can hold onto the sleeve while the drill is goin' round?

Rojo: Yeah for purple! I sprayed BluKote (misnamed for sure - the stuff is P.U.R.P.L.E.) on some bare backs, hoping that they would leave each other alone (It didn't help because it rubbed off too quick) but of course my aim isn't too great and now the chickens have purple feathers! haha They are kind of pretty! Glad it was purple, not some ugly green or yellow! lol

Yes, you can, but you don't have to. Your choice. They're super easy to use.

It's one of the best tools for drilling in screws IMO. I recently wore one completely out. The sleeve would just fall off of the shaft(That's many thousand screws over 3-4 yrs, mind you). Next time I was at the hardware store, I bought 3 more.

Rojo, I've seen black, silver, clear, and yellow, but not purple.

Well I'm not sure it's an invention but I made a dust bath/play area for the chickens to keep them from messing up the vegetable garden. They love it, they spend like 1/2 the day in that corner now. I filled the brick area with dirt, sand, potting soil and a little DE. The tree is a dead fruit tree that was sitting in the side yard waiting to go out with bulk trash but I kept finding the chickens on it. I know people will sometimes hang heads of cabbage from the top of their run or coop so I plan to do things like that with the tree. I'll tie cabbage or corn cobs from the top branch to make treat time a little more interesting.

Back
Top Bottom