DIY Thread - Let's see your "Inventions".

My winter waterer for my 5 hens. Only 1 nipple. Will be raised on a upside-down milk crate with a cement block on top to add a could more inches in height.

Inside is a submersible aquarium pump and small fountain pump to keep the water moving. Both will be plugged into a therocube that turns on when it is 35 degrees and turns off at 45 degrees.

My winter waterer for my 5 hens. Only 1 nipple. Will be raised on a upside-down milk crate with a cement block on top to add a could more inches in height.

Inside is a submersible aquarium pump and small fountain pump to keep the water moving. Both will be plugged into a therocube that turns on when it is 35 degrees and turns off at 45 degrees.

I assume you meant submersible aquarium heater?
You need a loop to circulate the heated water thru the pipe with the nipple and back in to the bucket or the water in the pipe may freeze. Just add a couple 90 degree elbows.

Where are you located?

I assume you meant submersible aquarium heater?
You need a loop to circulate the heated water thru the pipe with the nipple and back in to the bucket or the water in the pipe may freeze. Just add a couple 90 degree elbows.

Where are you located?

Yes I did mean "heater". I'm in Michigan..............

New modification.............. Bucket was too big for the location I was going to use it and power was too far away. So I decided to put it "inside" the coop (yes, I know that might not be advisable due to humidity, but it's the best I can do).

I also changed it to be made from a rectangular laundry soap bucket which will have a smaller footprint.

I put it in the coop to take these pictures and try out the size/location. It's right next to my 5 gallon bucket feeder which has been working perfectly for over a month. I blocked the door (seen on the right so the chickens couldn't get in when I was in there). You can also see the egg boxes to the left and the web cam above the water bucket. The picture was taken from outside the clean-out door.

Also included pictures of what the bubbler (Harbor Freight $5.99) and heater (Walmart $14.94) look like inside the round 5 gallon bucket (I'll move these to my rectangular waterer).

Quote: I also changed it to be made from a rectangular laundry soap bucket which will have a smaller footprint.

I put it in the coop to take these pictures and try out the size/location. It's right next to my 5 gallon bucket feeder which has been working perfectly for over a month. I blocked the door (seen on the right so the chickens couldn't get in when I was in there). You can also see the egg boxes to the left and the web cam above the water bucket. The picture was taken from outside the clean-out door.

Also included pictures of what the bubbler (Harbor Freight $5.99) and heater (Walmart $14.94) look like inside the round 5 gallon bucket (I'll move these to my rectangular waterer).

I like your concept.... One consideration with regard to that heater. Aeons ago I worked in a big aquarium shop three hundred aquariums half fresh half salt. They Should NEVER go dry. Be dilligent in checking the water levels. Because when they rupture they will electrify the water..... How do I know? I have been shocked when going to clean a tank.... Mild albiet but pretty alarming.

It is a good idea to put it in the coop because the inside will be warmer because the chickens put off quite a few BTUs. With a lid on the bucket it should keep the humidity down but double check the nipple to make sure it doesnt leak.

deb

silly question, but being inside the coop, why couldnt you just point a heat lamp at it from the top down? by looking you can instantly tell if its not working, it would let you see your water level easier without looking into the bucket. and being in Michigan (im in Ohio) a little extra heat usually doesnt hurt a thing.

silly question, but being inside the coop, why couldnt you just point a heat lamp at it from the top down? by looking you can instantly tell if its not working, it would let you see your water level easier without looking into the bucket. and being in Michigan (im in Ohio) a little extra heat usually doesnt hurt a thing.

I can't. My coop is small - 4'x4'x4'. I can only climb inside the "clean out" door if I REALLY want to get inside.

Also I don't want heat in the coop because many people say that Chickens have to get use to the cold and that they will do fine. If you loose electricity because of a storm and the chickens aren't use to the cold they could die.

Also, I don't like the idea of electricity over an "open" bucket of water. The submersible heater and pump are made to work under water.

Both will be plugged into a thermocube that powers up at 35 degrees and turns off at 45 degrees (air temp)

Thanks for the thought though!

there is good and bad either way, but you mentioned open electricity over the water - and your putting a source of electricity into the water that is known to fail and break, electrifying the water.

i have never used an aquarium heater for my chickens, but i do enjoy saltwater aquariums. i can tell you when one fails in a saltwater aquarium it normally costs you a few hundred in fish LOL. fish typically arent in contact with the ground and die from chilling or to much heat. chickens can complete the circuit to the earth ground shocking them as mentioned above.

this is your project, and i encourage you to do it how you feel most comfortable. i dont know your situations, im just offering advice.

on another note- on my suggestion; i do not like the idea of running lights full time in the winter. if you did decide to go that route, use a red lamp and put it on a thermostat (adjust how you feel most comfortable)

I forgot to mention.... everything in the coop is going though a GFCI outlet. If water hits electric the breaker cuts in a nano second.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom