DIY Thread - Let's see your "Inventions".

yuckyuck.gif

Definitely not a new invention or thought but I have been sprouting Organic Alfalfa seeds in a large jar and growing Omega 3 Forage mix from groworganic.com for my 6 chickies over the winter. I had my husband build these boxes out of reclaimed lumber from an old barn and wire from the corn-crib so that my chickies could not destroy the root system of the plants. They devour one of these boxes in minutes!

I'm curious - how much does one of those weigh since I'd have to carry it out to the coop (or maybe on wagon or sled I guess).

Last edited:
I'm doing a "riff" on the grass boxes. I built a box this morning that fits a seedlings tray. I'm going to see if the seeds I planted grow and if they do, I'll post the picture of making it. Mine's about 12 pounds, dirt, seeds, and all. Easy to carry.

I'm doing a "riff" on the grass boxes. I built a box this morning that fits a seedlings tray. I'm going to see if the seeds I planted grow and if they do, I'll post the picture of making it. Mine's about 12 pounds, dirt, seeds, and all. Easy to carry.
AWESOME!!! I wish you success!!! I am sure it will grow!!!! I buy chicken forage blend from groworganic.com-- though I am sure that a variety of seeds would do the job!
I'm curious - how much does one of those weigh since I'd have to carry it out to the coop (or maybe on wagon or sled I guess).
I am guessing about like mlowen's -- 12 pounds-- fluctuates by size, moisture content.... but I can easily carry mine out to the coop too! Mine hold a 17"X17" growing tray.

My grass box ("ripped off" from CourtsCacklers--thank you SO much, Courtney!!) worked! All materials were already on hand. 2x4's, 1/2 inch hardware cloth, seedling tray, etc. I took it out to the girls this morning. I wish I had taken a picture right before taking it out. The oat grass was about 4-6 inches high. They mowed it right to the wire, but did not pull any out of the soil. I have clover, wheat, and barley planted in there, too. Now I'll let it grow for another week or so and take it out to them, again.

My grass box ("ripped off" from CourtsCacklers--thank you SO much, Courtney!!) worked! All materials were already on hand. 2x4's, 1/2 inch hardware cloth, seedling tray, etc. I took it out to the girls this morning. I wish I had taken a picture right before taking it out. The oat grass was about 4-6 inches high. They mowed it right to the wire, but did not pull any out of the soil. I have clover, wheat, and barley planted in there, too. Now I'll let it grow for another week or so and take it out to them, again.

I LOVE IT!!!! It is absolutely BEAUTIFUL! So glad your chickies loved it and got to enjoy it!!!!

Not an invention, but a reuse and a simple one. We have some of those plastic corkscrew corn handles. I looped a piece of wire around it and then screwed it into watermelon rinds, a cabbage head, corn cob, a strawberry etc then hang it so it spins freely above their heads. They hold really well and are quick to use. Our ladies have enjoyed jumping for treats, keeps them quiet and busy. I have a video of Matilda if anyone is interested

Ours are like this with a coarse screw, not the fine ones that will pull out more easily. I don't think ours came from PC but they might have, they are white

http://www.amazon.com/The-Pampered-...390115109&sr=8-13&keywords=corn+holders+screw

warning, link is a referral one, it is for my friend who is paying for her special needs adoption. If you don't want to click on it or it isn't allowed try searching amazon for cob nobs it is the first link for me and they are green.

Oh and BTW, for first time keepers, red cabbage turns their poop vivid teal! It was freaky!

Back
Top Bottom