DIY Thread - Let's see your "Inventions".

Yup, let common sense prevail! The newly-hatched stay directly under the lamp, the fluffy ones just off to the side but still well within the light's beam
wink.png
I will be watching them closely, in fact I literally came out of the room they're in just for a smoke break! I am OBSESSED, lol - my first hatch and all! Gotta go, expecting baby #14 any minute now! Thanks for your advice!

God love you. Fourteen? That's dedication. I only had one sister and not close relatives. Mom, Dad and Sis gone now so it's just me living with DD, SIL Gson. 2 dogs. That's a lot in the house a one time. Big family vs Tiny family. I could have used a little more relatives.
lau.gif

Awesome! Great job!

For my waterers I use fishing bobbers - no outside notification tho just able to spot bobber level really easily and it helps, but I have light colored buckets. If you fashion an out of water notification please update us!
smile.png

Thanks! The dilemma with the waterers is that anything light enough to float isn't heavy enough to pull the string down (I would think). I will think about it and see if I can get something put together at some point.

I wanted to share my low feed alert system. I built several of the pvc feeders for my pens but wanted an easy way to see when they started getting low on feed. I tied a "flag" on one end of a long string, drilled a hole into the feeder and fed that string through and tied a weight on the end that is inside the feeder. The weight sits on top of the feed and as the feed level drops, the weight also drops and pulls the string. When the "flag" gets near the top of the feeder I know it is time to add feed. It enables me to know what the feed level is without going into each pen. I need to fashion something similar for the waterers. Anyway, I am proud of it and it was really easy to do. It could be added to most DIY feeders.
Love it! So clever!

Thanks! The dilemma with the waterers is that anything light enough to float isn't heavy enough to pull the string down (I would think). I will think about it and see if I can get something put together at some point.
Tap a High and Low hole in the container, put in two elbows that are threaded on the bucket end. Attach clear tubing to monitor water level externally, if the tube is large enough you can insert a floating object to make it easier to see.

Like this..

images

Last edited:
I wanted to share my low feed alert system. I built several of the pvc feeders for my pens but wanted an easy way to see when they started getting low on feed. I tied a "flag" on one end of a long string, drilled a hole into the feeder and fed that string through and tied a weight on the end that is inside the feeder. The weight sits on top of the feed and as the feed level drops, the weight also drops and pulls the string. When the "flag" gets near the top of the feeder I know it is time to add feed. It enables me to know what the feed level is without going into each pen. I need to fashion something similar for the waterers. Anyway, I am proud of it and it was really easy to do. It could be added to most DIY feeders.

excellent... I want to do something like that for my water tank.... How do you keep the ring on the PVC from catching.

deb

excellent... I want to do something like that for my water tank.... How do you keep the ring on the PVC from catching.

deb

On the inside? I have the string short enough that the weight stops before it hits the ring, so they have a bit of feed left with the "flag" all the way up. I wanted to make sure I had some time to notice that the feed was low before than ran all the way out.

God love you. Fourteen? That's dedication. I only had one sister and not close relatives. Mom, Dad and Sis gone now so it's just me living with DD, SIL Gson. 2 dogs. That's a lot in the house a one time. Big family vs Tiny family. I could have used a little more relatives.
lau.gif

Same here Linda, my husband has literally many hundreds of cousins (his parents both had over 10 siblings) but I have 3 cousins. My father is an only child and my mother had one brother and one sister (1 and 2 children each)

Back
Top Bottom