DIY Thread - Let's see your "Inventions".

Or you could take a lowes bucket cut a hose sized hole in the lid and pop the lid on... Keep the very small hole on the side for water level... Pop a bathroom sink stopper in the large lid hole to seal it. When you flip it over into the pan some water will splash out but not so quickly that the pan wont keep it contained.

but DANG those buckets are heavy when filled with water.... I couldn't do it. One gallon of water weighs about nine pounds.... Three gallons about thirty pounds give or take.

And doing it from a seated position in the coop or run .... something I wouldn't be able to do.

deb

Last edited:
Yes, a 5 gallon water bottle weighs a bit over 40 pounds.

But you don't have to fill it all the way....
wink.png

Yes, a 5 gallon water bottle weighs a bit over 40 pounds.

But you don't have to fill it all the way....
wink.png

I get about with a walker.... carrying stuff is an ordeal unfortunately.

My prefered method of watering my flock is water tubs that self fill with a gardon hose and a tank float. Reasonably inexpensive build simple to clean and very reliable. I can sit on my walker with a toilet brush and scrub em clean quickly.

+

deb

I found some big old cabinets that someone dumped on a hill. I'm going to use them to make my duck house! Anyone used old cabinets for a project?

I havent but i have seen some awesome conversions. My favaorite was one time someone had an old TV console that had had its innards pulled out. Basically a huge honking Maple Cabinet. They left all the control knobs and grills but removed the back and put a door on it... then they put hardware cloth in behind the bezel where the TV tube faced the room.

Inside they put their broody hen on eggs.... Soo dang cute when those chicks hatched.....

Now they could Watch Chick Flicks.... The cat thought it was awesome.

sort of like this:

Only with chickens

deb

I havent but i have seen some awesome conversions. My favaorite was one time someone had an old TV console that had had its innards pulled out. Basically a huge honking Maple Cabinet. They left all the control knobs and grills but removed the back and put a door on it... then they put hardware cloth in behind the bezel where the TV tube faced the room.

Inside they put their broody hen on eggs.... Soo dang cute when those chicks hatched.....

sort of like this:

Only with chickens

deb
Oh my word! Up until 10 years ago we HAD that TV (well, one just like that one) - and it worked great! It was a Motorola Quazar "Works in a Drawer" because all you had to do to replace some parts was open that drawer that's hidden right under the front controls. Ken, my husband the electronics genius, kept that thing going from the time we bought it in the early 80s until 2004! Toward the end parts became harder and harder to find, but with persistence and the internet he managed. It very seldom had problems anyway.

That TV and I had a love/hate relationship....I loved that it kept on working and I hated that it kept on working. Finally it heard my begging and it died a quick, relatively painless death so we could actually join the new century and get a new one. I can't tell you how many school pictures, trinkets, framed snapshots and memories sat on top of the cabinet. Now I wish we'd have at least kept the cabinet! I'm so glad you posted this picture, Deb!

Kinda on the same topic, I bought a Sears Kenmore washer and matching dryer the week we found out we were expecting our son. We already had two daughters, ages 2 and 4, and I was tired of going to the laundromat three times a week. The washer finally went to wherever good washers go in 1994. The dryer we finally replaced in 2013. It was purchased in 1972...our son was born in early '73. That means that faithful dryer dried our clothes, my grandkids' clothes and my great grandson's clothes (when they came for a visit) until it was 41 years old.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled thread........

sort of like this:

Only with chickens

deb
My uncle has a TV like that, that is broken! I think I have another project! My dog needs a new crate, and that would look really cool in the family room!
I started a contest for people who make things like this, actually. Trying to clean up the landscape a little bit! So far I've just gotten to using old tires and bottles, but I'll be using a lot of old stuff to build some DIYs this year! (The link to the contest is in my signature, if anyone would like to enter their project!)

Back
Top Bottom