Chickentrain's Dog Q&A

Pics
Didn’t y’all say something about merle being bad?
Double merle (two copies of the merle gene) causes health problems.

So you breed merle to not-merle, and you get some puppies each way, and no problems.

But breeding two merles to each other gives about 25% double merles.

(Just like breeding two blue chickens gives about 25% splash, but different because splash doesn't cause health problems in chickens.)

Double merle (two copies of the merle gene) causes health problems.

So you breed merle to not-merle, and you get some puppies each way, and no problems.

But breeding two merles to each other gives about 25% double merles.

(Just like breeding two blue chickens gives about 25% splash, but different because splash doesn't cause health problems in chickens.)
Thanks!

Are there any breeds that are more commonly trained for schutzhund and other sports than others?
Yep!

Belgian Shepherd
Belgian Malinois
Dutch Shepherd
Groenendael
Doberman
Cane Corso
Rottweiler
Beauceron
Giant Schnauzer

those are the dogs I've have seen most often
A few of these are the same breed just different varieties. Like the first two and the groenendael.
What's the difference between belgian, german, dutch, etc, shepherds? Is it like english and american orps where there's just different breed standards, or are they entirely separate?
They are all the same breed, same breed standard, but their coats are different
dutch are different
German are a totally different breed too but I’m sure you maybe just missed that part ? Just don’t want people to be confused hahah With the Belgian Shepherds, there’s 4 varieties of the same breed, but in the U.S. they are separated into 4 separate breeds for some reason. Dutch Shepherds are technically a separate breed but are quite similar to Belgians especially the Malinois and are often crossed in KNPV lines which is a Dutch police/working type line. You can get both of them in one litter which gets confusing. German Shepherds are completely separate but they have many of their own lines too which can also get equally confusing. 😂🤣 like there’s American Show and Pet lines (which tend to be nervy messes but not always hahah), West German Show and Working, East German, DDR/Czech, crosses of them, etc. If I ever got one, I think I would get either a WGWL or a cross of WGSL and WGWL hahah
Oh, ok!

What are retrievers usually trained for? Anything aside from hunting and retrieving and the like? Can they be trained for show stuff or is it too difficult?
retrievers are some of my favorites
They’re often used as guide dogs and service dogs as well as detection dogs for the police, airports, etc. 🥰🥰 they can do well in sports too such as obedience, agility, rally, dock diving, etc. hahah
View attachment 2554151 Groenendael, jet black, long fur

View attachment 2554152 tervuren, looks similar to the groen but they come in brindle, fawn and black, black and cream, mahogony, and fawn and liver

View attachment 2554154 belgian laekenois - Shore wire coat, they come in fawn, black and tan, mahogony, fawn sable, red, and red sable, all of these colors can come with a mask.
View attachment 2554161 belgian malinois, they come in black tipped fawn, mahogony, tan, gray, blue, and black. All colors can come with masks
:love :love :love

Back
Top Bottom