Chickentrain's Dog Q&A

Can you start recall early by just doing '[Puppy's Name], c'mere/come/c'mon!' and acting all excited and patting your thighs and stuff, then being super happy if they come?
You can also teach Come by saying "(Name) Come!" as you put the food down in front of them, and just as you offer a treat, and whenever you pet them. At this early stage you are not teaching them "to come," you are teaching them to associate the words, "Name, come," with wonderful experiences while being close to you. Later, when you call, "Name, Come!" the dog will run to get close to you because wonderful things happen then.

NEVER holler, "Name, GETOVERHERERIGHTNOW!" and then smack them when they do. Which of course nobody here ever would, but you would be amazed how many people do.

NEVER holler, "Name, GETOVERHERERIGHTNOW!" and then smack them when they do. Which of course nobody here ever would, but you would be amazed how many people do.

I used to be a franic NO NO NO COME BACK

GET BACK hERE

GET OVER HERE

person when my dog ran away

now I get low, I talk in a high exited voice, and i praise when he comes back
it works,
yelling never did

we all come from somewhere

oh...

Screenshot 2021-03-07 at 9.55.17 PM.png

I absorbed the rest of the post, but I am just?? So confused by this???? why??? Would you smack a dog in the first place, but why punish for doing what you want??????
I assume because the dog did something (like chewed up your favorite shoes), so you yell at them to "get over here," so you can smack them for what they did wrong.

With a person, you can say "Come see this mess! Next time, do it differently." It sort-of works with people, depending on what you say and how you say it.

So people automatically try it with a dog-- but calling the dog and then smacking it just teaches it to not come when called.

Negative reinforcement needs to happen RIGHT after the deed.

I'm not talking about slapping your dog

I'm talking a leash pop, a 'no', putting away toys, or walking away from your dog (all negative reinforcers, depending on your dog)

if you are going to punish your dog, it needs to happen within seconds of your dog doing it.

your dog picks up your slipper? the "no", and taking away the slipper needs to come SECONDS after the slipper ends up in the dogs mouth. You cannot punish your dog for chewing your slipper, if the slipper is already chewed, your dog will not understand.

I absorbed the rest of the post, but I am just?? So confused by this???? why??? Would you smack a dog in the first place, but why punish for doing what you want??????
People get frustrated and angry if they call their dog several times and it doesn't come right away. Then they yell at it, like this, then when the dog finally DOES come, they smack it because it didn't come sooner. Then next time the dog gets out and they call it, guess what? Is it going to come quickly? No, because it remembers what happened last time. It just gets worse and worse. Whenever you call your dog, and it comes, it should be a party when it gets there, no matter how long it takes! Good dog!!!

Back
Top Bottom