1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do all laying hens make noise??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Hamptons06, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Hamptons06

Hamptons06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2009
    North Atlanta
    I've had my 2 girls now for just about a week and have been waiting for my 1st egg from either of them. Sara my BO, has been staying in the corner of the coop the last few hours and is very quiet, but keeps doing this open mouth thing every 3-5min as if she's yawning but no sound is coming from her. She doesn't like the nesting box, so I may have to modify it or put it somewhere else. Do all hens make a lot of noise when they are laying??? [​IMG] Ruby my RIR, likes the nesting box but hasn't spent more than a minute or two in it then gets out. Does the behvior range with egg laying?

2. superjules75

superjules75 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    My EE doesn't make a sound during or after...

3. Hamptons06

Oct 26, 2009
    North Atlanta
    Quote:Does your BO make sounds?

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I have two hens that are completely silent when they are in the nestbox. They try to make themselves invisible.

5. The Chickens' Maid

The Chickens' Maid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    CT
    Ours don't make a lot of noise while they are laying, but AFTERWARDS . . .
    We have one BO hen; she hasn't laid now for a while because of her chicks. Our silkie likes to make noise, and our Barred Rock. Our silkie/BO hen likes making some noise, but she is a quiet hen.
    What your RIR is doing sound a lot like what our pullet did before she started to lay; it took a few weeks, though.

6. detali

detali Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    Some times my hens announce their accomplishment, sometimes they don't. I worry about your hen that keeps opening her mouth as though she were yawning. She could be sick. I had a hen like that and it died.

7. Hamptons06

Oct 26, 2009
    North Atlanta
    Quote:I do not want to hear that. She only started to do it while sitting in the corner looking all broody. She's not displaying any behavior out of the ordinary. I'll take a video and show you.... bbiab.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  8. superjules75

superjules75 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2009
    Austin, Texas

She isn't laying yet. Only the EE is laying...freeloaders.

9. Hamptons06

Oct 26, 2009
    North Atlanta

She isn't laying yet. Only the EE is laying...freeloaders.

[​IMG]

10. solarquail

solarquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    i have some that squak all threw and after the laying process and i have (mainly EE's and silkies) that dont make a peep.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by