Do any of you know a reputable place to buy call ducklings this time of year?

JadeComputerGal

Songster
5 Years
Apr 19, 2014
West Chester, PA, USA
I've found a couple of places on the Internet that show they still have ducklings available but I haven't contacted them yet. I want to gather some names and ideas first. I'm willing to pay a good amount of money for them.

Thanks!!!

I picked up 3 pekins from metzer farms this morning in Gonzales CA! :) adorable and healthy! They're are out of a lot of their breeds, but still have a nice selection, they ship and allow pick up. :) good luck!!

1. Call Ducks are seasonal layers so this isn't the right time of year for them.
2. I'm not aware of any reputable breeders that ship call ducklings. Call ducklings are more fragile than other breeds and don't seem to survive nearly as well during the shipping process.
3. Temperatures are starting to cool down again so you might be able to find someone willing to ship you a young pair soon so you can have ducklings in the spring.

1. Call Ducks are seasonal layers so this isn't the right time of year for them.
2. I'm not aware of any reputable breeders that ship call ducklings. Call ducklings are more fragile than other breeds and don't seem to survive nearly as well during the shipping process.
3. Temperatures are starting to cool down again so you might be able to find someone willing to ship you a young pair soon so you can have ducklings in the spring.

Thank you!!! I kept wondering why almost all the breeders I've found say they never ship ducklings but never say why. Now I know! I've considered a couple of pair of this years spring hatch, and I have some calls/emails out about those, but my husband and I both have some reservations about that. We don't know how 6-8 month old ducks might take to us, plus all these ducks I'm finding have been in pens their whole lives. We're afraid they won't be as tame as if we raised them ourselves. We'll still consider that, but I've also read in numerous places that they're hard to breed. As much as I hate to, I might wait until next spring so we can get hatchlings instead.

Thank you!!! I kept wondering why almost all the breeders I've found say they never ship ducklings but never say why. Now I know! I've considered a couple of pair of this years spring hatch, and I have some calls/emails out about those, but my husband and I both have some reservations about that. We don't know how 6-8 month old ducks might take to us, plus all these ducks I'm finding have been in pens their whole lives. We're afraid they won't be as tame as if we raised them ourselves. We'll still consider that, but I've also read in numerous places that they're hard to breed. As much as I hate to, I might wait until next spring so we can get hatchlings instead.
It's no problem at all. Calls are wonderful birds and one of my personal favorite breeds to keep. (Minus the noise level of course. lol). I completely understand your reasoning. My first Call was actually already an adult when I got her but tamed quite well. I think she might have been an exception though because most of my adult birds never tamed well.

I just ran across an ad on Craigslist selling call ducks. Do you happen to be in TX?

No, but I'd like to be. I'm in PA. I do broad searches of CL, meaning the whole US, not regional searches, so I've found quite a few juveniles for sale scattered about the country. I'm just very worried about getting "wild" birds if we end up with ones that have been sitting in a pen their entire lives and rarely exposed to humans. I haven't had a lot of luck in really taming birds that are already grown, only in gaining enough trust where they don't run from us and will come somewhat close when we're giving treats.

Back
Top Bottom