do anyone put wire underground?

countrygirl57

Songster
10 Years
Jul 5, 2009
We have been told to dig all around the run, &put wire 2 feet underground & attach it to botom rail. I don't know if this will stop diggers.

It should. The only realy secure way is to lock them in a tight coop at night when most predators are out. Are you trying to stop dogs? Oh---
welcome-byc.gif

Nothing is ever 100% foolproof but buried wire is a very proactive method of securing your birds. Most predators will be discouraged when they heat the wire.

I wouldn't put it 2 foot deep. I put mine about six inches deep, 18 inches wide. Ran my rototiller around pen until I got the depth I wanted, raked the dirt back, put the wire down, fastened it to the bottom of the fence and pushed the dirt back. I've never had anything dig under the fence! It's very a very good way to protect your flock.

An alternative is to lay wire on the ground around the fence and fasten them together securely and pin it to the ground til the grass pins it for you. About 2' wide.

these suggestions are all good especially the secure coop for nighttime. you have to be aware of even the smallest crack a critter can get his hand in. i lost a white silkie last night by something reaching in a small crack. all the traps are set tonight 1 with chicken leggs in it, may the best man win. support coon hunters, the greatest people on earth.

I used the plastic coated 2x4 welded wire. Buried it eighteen inches deep with the bottom splayed outwards.

The first month or so I had dogs or whatever go to heroic lengths, but nothing has ever breached that yard.

.....Alan.

It's a huge waste of time and energy to bury wire deeply when you can get the same results by simply laying it flat on the ground.

Just put enough dirt on top so grass will grow up through it

thanks everyone, for the tips. WE keep our girls secure at night, in their coup. They free range when we are home. We had a visit from a mink, 2 days ago, got in the run, we drove it away b4 any damage.

Now we are desperate to secure the run. we got to add smaller wire any other suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom