do anyone put wire underground?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by countrygirl57, Oct 25, 2009.

1. countrygirl57

countrygirl57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    We have been told to dig all around the run, &put wire 2 feet underground & attach it to botom rail. I don't know if this will stop diggers.

2. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    It should. The only realy secure way is to lock them in a tight coop at night when most predators are out. Are you trying to stop dogs? Oh---[​IMG]

3. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Nothing is ever 100% foolproof but buried wire is a very proactive method of securing your birds. Most predators will be discouraged when they heat the wire.

4. clayhill

clayhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2008
    Lee County, Arkansas
    I wouldn't put it 2 foot deep. I put mine about six inches deep, 18 inches wide. Ran my rototiller around pen until I got the depth I wanted, raked the dirt back, put the wire down, fastened it to the bottom of the fence and pushed the dirt back. I've never had anything dig under the fence! It's very a very good way to protect your flock.

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    An alternative is to lay wire on the ground around the fence and fasten them together securely and pin it to the ground til the grass pins it for you. About 2' wide.

6. fatboys farm

fatboys farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2009
    Franklin GA
    these suggestions are all good especially the secure coop for nighttime. you have to be aware of even the smallest crack a critter can get his hand in. i lost a white silkie last night by something reaching in a small crack. all the traps are set tonight 1 with chicken leggs in it, may the best man win. support coon hunters, the greatest people on earth.

7. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I used the plastic coated 2x4 welded wire. Buried it eighteen inches deep with the bottom splayed outwards.

The first month or so I had dogs or whatever go to heroic lengths, but nothing has ever breached that yard.

.....Alan.

8. silkiechick05

silkiechick05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    North Texas
    Quote:Can i borrow your dog??

My doberman is too stupid to something he isn't supposed to when you want him to do it

bahahaha

9. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    It's a huge waste of time and energy to bury wire deeply when you can get the same results by simply laying it flat on the ground.

Just put enough dirt on top so grass will grow up through it

10. countrygirl57

countrygirl57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    thanks everyone, for the tips. WE keep our girls secure at night, in their coup. They free range when we are home. We had a visit from a mink, 2 days ago, got in the run, we drove it away b4 any damage.

Now we are desperate to secure the run. we got to add smaller wire any other suggestions?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by