hornets

trudyg

Crowing
10 Years
Jun 3, 2013
North Alabama
My hens are in a wired-in carport. Inside the carport is a small block building that they roost in (it used to contain the well pump). I now have hornets. I think they have burrowed underground and are making a nest inside the block wall. I have wasp-sprayed and used expanding foam to close all visible openings in the block and put Sevin dust all around the hole I see them using. Any other suggestions? I've been trying to get rid of them for over a week now and it's time to put the new chicks out into that pen and I'm afraid to do that with hornets. Would permethrin be better than sevin? I usually spray the ceiling areas monthly anyway with permetrhin just to prevent this sort of thing, but I don't know what to do since it's underground/inaccessible.

What we always do with european wasps is to put petrol down the hole, and then block it off with a bottle stuck upside down.
It fumigates them pretty fast, but I don't know if you would want to do that near a chicken coop.
Permethrin would be well worth a go, it is very light and dusty, so might travel quite well if you blow it down the hole.

I usually do this, too. We put maybe an ounce down the hole, then light it and burn them out. You can see various other exits as the smoke rolls out, which is very enlightening about their habits. But, since this goes into a wall, I really don't want to burn it. Gas alone will probably work. I went out at dead of night and poured Sevin dust all over and for about 4 feet farther out from the hole I see them using--and, for, 3 days now, have seen no activity. Once it rains and rinses the dust away we'll see for sure. Since this is outside the pen, the birds are not able to get into the dusted area and, so, stay protected from it.

I had this problem last week with yellow jackets. After I got attacked, I went on the search for a solution and found Spectracide Pro Wasp Killer at Lowes. It is an expanding foam wasp spray that will shoot 20 feet if needed. If you can get see where they are coming from, shoot it from a distance. When the wasp action dies down, get closer and spray at their entrance hole. The foam expands in the hole and kills the hive. It is effective for four weeks after application so it gets the straglers. Also, do the application as the sun is setting. The wasps have returned at this point and are less active. Good luck

https://www.spectracide.com/Product...pectracidePRO-Wasp-Hornet-Killer-Aerosol.aspx

Treat the hive openings at night, when the hornets are all inside. Any wasp spray will work, plan to use a lot to get as far into their nest as possible. It's hard to love them when their nest is close, and you've been attacked!
Mary

Back
Top Bottom