Do baby chicks need toys?

gitlost80

Trigger Pullet
11 Years
Mar 27, 2009
Reno/Sparks
I know this may sound like a goofy question, but my 4 day old chicks spend most of their time knocking over their thermometer,pecking it, and climbing all over it. Is there anything I can put in their pen for them to play with? There is 6 of them in their 4x2x2 horse trough...
26245_006.jpg
26245_004.jpg

They'll "play" with anything you put in there - but no, toys aren't needed. They are only practicing foraging techniques. I put a flat plate with some chick crumbles for them to peck, scratch and forage at.. they're little busy bodies aren't they!

In a week or so, you can give them a piece of a tree branch. They will jump on it and roost. Are they having "fun"? I hesitate to call it that. Also: I am guilty of rolling my eyes at the call for *enrichment activities* for chickens. Baby Einstein, anyone?
duc.gif

However, in a couple weeks, you can start giving them small amount of other foods. YOU will have fun watching them go wild over a piece of nodle or a couple peas!
ya.gif

Oh that would be fun to watch them chase crickets! Maybe good training too for later? Get out there and eat those bugs! Terri O in WI
(PS) Really though...why dont you give them a parakeet toy to roll around. Or maybe one of those plastic cat balls with the bell inside? I bet they would have "fun" with that.

And when you finish a toilet paper roll, put the empty cardboard tube in the brooder with them. It's fun to watch them investigate that! (I had one fall asleep across it after "playing" with it for some time.)

I know it was more for ME and my amusement, but that's about the most "toy for enrichment" I can justify trying.

People may laugh at me but YES. When raised with mom - chicks are never bored - she is always doing something with them - moving, eating, scratching, playing, sleeping. Stuck in a box with no enrichment is boring!

I give them a stuff animal, cat toy they can roll and peck at, starting at 3 - 4 days old - I give them a little tub of sand (I do not worry if it is "clean" I just scoop sand from outside), once they have sand I start giving them tiny bits of hay (I cut small sizes at first), bits of grass or weeds you want them to eat, a feather duster hung from the side of the box (LOVE this one!), frozen veggies - run under hot water until thawed, bugs (raising mealworms for mine).

I do not feed medicated food, and have not had ill chicks - no pasty butt or cocci yet.

Back
Top Bottom