Do Barnevelders and Orpingtons get along?

If anybody out there wants to get Orpingtons and Barnevelders together, go right ahead! They make great flock-mates.

Here are four of the girls:
View attachment 2344628
Beautiful pullets. ♥ I'm growing out my Barnevelders and can sit and watch my future roo for hours. He is docile and HUGE. Only have one pullet right now. They'll have their own coop and run since they are for breeding and hatching eggs.

Beautiful pullets. ♥ I'm growing out my Barnevelders and can sit and watch my future roo for hours. He is docile and HUGE. Only have one pullet right now. They'll have their own coop and run since they are for breeding and hatching eggs.
Oh, cool! What kind of Barnevelders are they? I didn't get to watch my boys get big - they started crowing early and had to go :( But they were always half the size of the Orpington boys, even though they were all the same age. Talk about huge! Orps are GIANT :lol: Or at least mine are... Probably because they are English and basketball-shaped :gig

1D4368FA-9A3A-4E3F-B79C-6BF5E2844E64_1_105_c.jpeg
E01EEA22-5C49-4F62-B7EF-B5963224A81A_1_105_c.jpeg

Action shots LOL. Double-laced. My other Barnie is behind him in the second photo.

Another update: they are all laying now, and still get along great, with no laying-related drama. They tend to all want to use the nesting boxes at the same time, as chickens tend to do, but they wait their turn. Or, the most they'll do is crowd around the box and yell at the laying pullet to hurry up, but nobody is bullying anybody out of the boxes. They eat together and dust bathe together and get along great! Even with limited resources, like treats out of my hand, they all eat next to each other and there's no bullying or hogging of resources. They've never had any fights, plucked feathers or the like. In fact, they are so chill that I still can't figure out the pecking order, and they are 9 months old now. This is one peaceful flock!

OnRoost.jpg

@K0k0shka
Your Barnies are beautiful -- where did you get them? I have a hatchery one. Her lacing is nothing to write home about, but her personality is exactly as you describe! Very intelligent independent birds. Mine has the lowest voice (she has a very mainly egg song).

@K0k0shka
Your Barnies are beautiful -- where did you get them? I have a hatchery one. Her lacing is nothing to write home about, but her personality is exactly as you describe! Very intelligent independent birds. Mine has the lowest voice (she has a very mainly egg song).
Thanks! I got them from Blue House Farm in NC (I got hatching eggs shipped to me). Interestingly, mine have the highest-pitched voices of the flock. Their talking voices sound like somebody's holding a note at the top of the range on a violin! :lol:

Papa's Poultry. Lots of eye candy there though, beware :D

That's right. And you had good luck with eggs? I've already made a wishlist to the tune of $550.00 before shipping with Papa's Poultry for chicks. $449.99 before shipping with Carolina Rare Chicks and an order with Cackle that's about $250.00. I've lost my mind!

They have Lavender and Blue American geese. I've been dying to get some, and I'll be sorely tempted if I can't get a hold of Holderread's to see if they are still shipping adults.

Back
Top Bottom