Do Barred Rocks lay well?????????????????????????

Great layers. I had really beat up Barred by my rooster but she never missed laying. In the middle of adult molt now but got a least 3 a day from 4 Barreds.

My three are 8 months old and laying almost everyday. I don't expect this kind of production to last beyond their pullet year, but, MAN, they are machines right now.

We have 50 laying hens of different breeds with a few hybrids thrown in the mix and I can fairly say that the Barred Rocks are the super stars when it comes to production. They are all under lights but it's only the Barred Rocks and Australorps that haven't slowed down with the change in season, laying 5-6 eggs per bird per week. I *love* Barred Rocks for production and personality.

I was wondering the same thing
tongue.png
Well now I know!

My BR and my EE are 7 weeks old today and i'm already getting impatient for them to start laying. I also have a polish/silkie that is 9 weeks old but she wont start laying for a while. She makes up for that by being so cute though!

I have 4 Barred Rocks and they are very good egg producers. Always get one sometimes two from my girls. Nice big eggs
smile.png

PoultryQueen29: Just want to say really cute Sig hehe Christmas Songs for the chicken lovers.
smile.png

Quote:
Both my girls are 7 months old. The Australorp is a egg laying machine also. I determined the BO is an early molter and has stopped laying all together. She started Aug 13th and stopped mid Oct.
hmm.png
I may get some BR's next spring. This info is great to know.

Barred Rocks are among the best layers in my opinion. My girl Buzzy was about 5 years old when she died this past summer, and she still laid an egg every other day.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom