Do broody hens need oudoor space?

Frodo the Pekin

Chirping
Jul 26, 2023
Hi! So I have a broody hen that I'm planning on putting duck eggs under for hatching once I have enough(in about a day, I'd say). She is currently sitting in a nest out in the fenced in outdoor area of their coop. But the other flockmates can get to her and often do disturb her. I was thinking of moving her to a chick brooder that I use and the only one I have available, only that that one is structured so that it's like a pretty decent sized (enough for a dustbath, food, water and the nest+ spots to relieve herself) wooden box, with a wire cover that lets the light in, but does not have a run attached to it or any way for her to get outside without the other chickens bothering her. Would that be enough? Does she need the outdoor space?

Last edited:
No, she does not need outdoor space. She needs a nest, food, and water like you have. She should instinctively know to not poop in her nest but she does not instinctively know to not poop in her food and water. Giving her a little extra room might be enough but don't be surprised if you are cleaning a little more than you'd like.

Many people that isolate a broody hen lock them in a room in an outbuilding or build a pen inside the coop where the broody stays the entire time she is incubating and hatching. What you describe sounds great.

No, she does not need outdoor space. She needs a nest, food, and water like you have. She should instinctively know to not poop in her nest but she does not instinctively know to not poop in her food and water. Giving her a little extra room might be enough but don't be surprised if you are cleaning a little more than you'd like.

Many people that isolate a broody hen lock them in a room in an outbuilding or build a pen inside the coop where the broody stays the entire time she is incubating and hatching. What you describe sounds great.
That's awesome! Thank you! Looking forward to hopefully hatch some ducklings then :fl:jumpy

Back
Top Bottom