Do bulls normally do this????

Actually, he is REALLY lucky.
smile.png
I am not a huge fan of beef anyway, and steak is one of my least favorites! A nice roast on the other hand.........
lau.gif

What until they have a herd of spring calves that they take away from the cows. Those mommas will cry for days with no end. It is a heartwrenching sound to listen to as they call and call for their babies. It is the one sound I absolutely hate the most.

I am really wondering why I never heard that before. Next Spring will be my 3rd Spring in this house and I never noticed the mom cows doing that. I know that would be an awful sound.

Quote:
Maybe they keep the cows closer to home then.

Sounds like the bull is missing his old herd. Hopefully, he will settle in with the new one soon.

The bull sees another bull close to his "herd" or can hear another bull. He is defending his territory.

That is what that god awful noise (bellowing) he is making is. If you had no other bulls within sight or hearing range he would not be making that noise.

If you were to see him doing this during the day you would see that he is all worked up and agitated. So stay away from him for your own safety!

Sorry he chose to camp outside your house to do this.....

I was kind-of wondering if the cows might be somewhere else during that time (when the babies are gone). They have a LOT of land from what I can tell, and there are times I don't see cows at all for awhile.

There are several herds close, that is probably where he is sensing another bull. We will stay clear of that area, I am sure that fence wouldn't stop him if he got too upset.

At my wife's grandpa's ranch, bulls will walk to the fence and beller at each other all day long sometimes, like they are bragging to each other about their ladies!
lol.png

Yes it can be loud but you do get used to it and it's not a year round thing if they separate their bull after a few months. (That's what we do.)

Quote:
That could be it, a big old brag fest going on!!!!! LOL I know I have heard one doing this before, just the first time they have been THIS bad (and right outside my window). I don't generally mind anything about his cows. They are a beautiful, well behaved, herd. I am not going to get stressed over this poor, hormonal, guy.
smile.png
I just hope he gets his issues worked out.
smile.png

I gotta admit though, the one thing I DID NOT realize was the flies associated with cows (practically) in your back yard!!!!

Quote:
Maybe they keep the cows closer to home then.

Or they may use a different type of weaning beside just taking the calves away.
smile.png

We wean ours by putting the calves in a smaller area right next the pasture that the cows are in. That way there isn't all the separation anxiety and bawling. It works quite well for us. Then when we do take the calves away later to finish them out on grass at home, no one puts up a fuss.
There are also things that can be placed in the calves' nose (little plastic things that just slip into their nose, don't pierce it, and hang down over their mouth so they can't drink from mama) that people sometimes use... the one brand name of these is "Quiet Wean" and there's a reason for that!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom