do cats harm chickens??

Generally speaking domestic cats do not go after adult standard-sized chickens. Exceptional cats, especially those that are feral are more likely to try and take an adult chicken down. I have cats go after juvenile game chickens that were 3/4's grown. My daughters cat killed a pullet within seconds and mangled a stag with a similar amount of effort. Cat no longer targets chicken because is get thumped by a game hen protecting a brood of smaller chicks.

I think any adult cat is fully capable of taking down even the toughest chicken, they just do not have the mindset to do so.
Why did the cat here attacked it though? I never had any experience like this before even when my neighbourhood is filled with cats 😞 they never bothered or came to them, even when one passed across the fence it never really jumped inside 🤷🏻‍♀️ she wasn't scared of me at all, I have no idea how, that's why I guessed she's domestic, also, she didn't eat the chicken? Like she just snapped its neck then stood on it not really afraid of me 🤷🏻‍♀️ I threw cold water on her later to move her but when I tried scaring her with the broom she didn't even flench

My sister has 50 chickens and about 15 barn cats. None of them attack any chickens but then again she has 3 roosters that protect the flock.
I have three roosters as well, my rooster was just being noisy, he didn't actually protect but it was night time, so I think he couldn't see? No idea 🤷🏻‍♀️ but the cat wasn't afraid of us, didn't even move when we came close to her or threaten her with a broom, it was buffling ngl

I have three roosters as well, my rooster was just being noisy, he didn't actually protect but it was night time, so I think he couldn't see? No idea 🤷🏻‍♀️ but the cat wasn't afraid of us, didn't even move when we came close to her or threaten her with a broom, it was buffling ngl
Oh no!
Chickens aren't good at seeing at night. That isn't a good thing that she wasn't scared of you. Do you have a no-kill animal shelter near you that you could catch her? It would be good to get her out of the area especially if she is the only cat that has attacked your flock.

Neighbor had some feral kittens. They kept coming into my yard to go after chicks. One time I saw a standoff between one and my CX hen - NOT a small bird! They were sizing each other up but the tiny cat (barely more than a kitten) was standing its ground against a 14lb chicken. I can believe a cat would attack if feral, and these kittens were fed too, just a little wild.

Oh no!
Chickens aren't good at seeing at night. That isn't a good thing that she wasn't scared of you. Do you have a no-kill animal shelter near you that you could catch her? It would be good to get her out of the area especially if she is the only cat that has attacked your flock.
Don't think I do, my closest shelter is really far away 😞 she was fat though, does that mean she was killing for just hunting? Or was she hungry, I've had cats walk around before but none attacked eventhough some were actually skinny and looked like they're starving 🤷🏻‍♀️😞 but my pen isn't really secure enough since I always keep the door open at night 😞 we don't have any animal here that can harm chickens, no hawks or racoons or anything so I never really thought about securing it properly but I guess I'll do it 😞 atm I'm just keeping an eye open on them till I see how to secure it

Don't think I do, my closest shelter is really far away 😞 she was fat though, does that mean she was killing for just hunting? Or was she hungry, I've had cats walk around before but none attacked eventhough some were actually skinny and looked like they're starving 🤷🏻‍♀️😞 but my pen isn't really secure enough since I always keep the door open at night 😞 we don't have any animal here that can harm chickens, no hawks or racoons or anything so I never really thought about securing it properly but I guess I'll do it 😞 atm I'm just keeping an eye open on them till I see how to secure it
If you have chicken wire and scrap wood, you could make a framed door for now.
Maybe the cat was pregnant, are you sure it was a she? Are tom cats more aggressive?

If you have chicken wire and scrap wood, you could make a framed door for now.
Maybe the cat was pregnant, are you sure it was a she? Are tom cats more aggressive?
Not sure, I didn't get a close look at her tbh, but I do think the shelter will put her down if sent to them (it's far as well, and I kinda don't want to kill a cat for being a cat tbh, eventhough I'm still sad about my hens.) Are they graceful when they're pregnant tho? Because she were lol( still not sure she's a she! I just assumed lol)

Why did the cat here attacked it though? I never had any experience like this before even when my neighbourhood is filled with cats 😞 they never bothered or came to them, even when one passed across the fence it never really jumped inside 🤷🏻‍♀️ she wasn't scared of me at all, I have no idea how, that's why I guessed she's domestic, also, she didn't eat the chicken? Like she just snapped its neck then stood on it not really afraid of me 🤷🏻‍♀️ I threw cold water on her later to move her but when I tried scaring her with the broom she didn't even flench
Most of the time over many years, while we have always had lots of cats and even more chickens there have been no problems. Once in a while that changes. In your case the cat be a problem dominates your experience. This is a numbers game, if you have enough people keeping chickens, then some will have problem like you observed. You lost the roll of the dice on this one. The business of chance is lost on most people, hence you see the "to each is own" statement thrown around because people only know what they have seen personally.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom