do cats harm chickens??

Jun 20, 2020
recently, a cat attacked my chickens, she killed one of them and injured a couple, Google has always said that cats are no danger to adult hens?? Yet, she attacked three! She was relatively large, too fat, but doesn't look pregnant, and I have always trusted Google so I kinda never tried driving her away 🤷🏻‍♀️ me and the neighbours do give her.food from time to time so I don't think she's starving or so

Generally speaking domestic cats do not go after adult standard-sized chickens. Exceptional cats, especially those that are feral are more likely to try and take an adult chicken down. I have cats go after juvenile game chickens that were 3/4's grown. My daughters cat killed a pullet within seconds and mangled a stag with a similar amount of effort. Cat no longer targets chicken because is get thumped by a game hen protecting a brood of smaller chicks.

I think any adult cat is fully capable of taking down even the toughest chicken, they just do not have the mindset to do so.

recently, a cat attacked my chickens, she killed one of them and injured a couple, Google has always said that cats are no danger to adult hens?? Yet, she attacked three! She was relatively large, too fat, but doesn't look pregnant, and I have always trusted Google so I kinda never tried driving her away 🤷🏻‍♀️ me and the neighbours do give her.food from time to time so I don't think she's starving or so
We have both feral cats and feral chickens here. The cats can take down a small chicken and do catch and eat the chicks regularly.😬

My wife’s cat hated our RIR rooster. About once a week, the cat would knock him down a peg just for giggles.
He scares the hens a few times, but it got old to him. The chicks were enticing until my broody cornered him inside a roll of field fence laid on its side against my shop. It was a 3’ round, 4’ long cylinder of mistake and regret. Cat had hair missing in various spots for about a month.

I should mention, my cat is a 16 pound marbled snow bengal.

I have 3 cats which are very predatory and often kill birds, chipmunks and other small animals. I kept my chicks out of their sight. But once my chickens were the same size as the cats, I allowed the cats to see them when they were safely behind hardware cloth. After some time of very curious observation, all 3 of my cats behave protectively toward the chickens (which, admittedly are now as large or even larger than the cats).

You never know. I agree with Katie, above, that if a cat (especially a random cat as opposed to family pet who is accustomed to the chickens) is not afraid, then it will mess with the chickens.

Neighbor had some feral kittens. They kept coming into my yard to go after chicks. One time I saw a standoff between one and my CX hen - NOT a small bird! They were sizing each other up but the tiny cat (barely more than a kitten) was standing its ground against a 14lb chicken. I can believe a cat would attack if feral, and these kittens were fed too, just a little wild.

I think cats are a bit too afraid to attack a full grown chicken but if a cat is not afraid then there is no stopping it And you have a chicken killer.

recently, a cat attacked my chickens, she killed one of them and injured a couple, Google has always said that cats are no danger to adult hens?? Yet, she attacked three! She was relatively large, too fat, but doesn't look pregnant, and I have always trusted Google
Did you see the attack? I have a hard time buying it.. but sorry for your experience! :hugs

Never trust Google! No one polices internet misinformation. :rant

You ALWAYS must use your own judgement.

IMO, Cats are NOT an issue for chickens.. I have feral barn cats and pet cats. Chicks are always too tempting to be unsupervised or unprotected in the presence of of predator.

Back
Top Bottom