Do chicken eggs sell?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gamefowl-layers, Feb 2, 2016.

1. gamefowl-layers

gamefowl-layers Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2016
    Littlerock California

Wow that's amazing. I just have a doubt in my mind thinking maybe they won't sell. But with the cost of egg prices these days, I think they will. Thanks for sharing!

2. gamefowl-layers

Jan 12, 2016
    Littlerock California

I was looking to buy the cartons and just include it in the price. How many chickens should I have to be comfortable selling eggs? I have 12 right now, and 4 of them are 2 years old. The others are 4-5 months old

3. gamefowl-layers

Jan 12, 2016
    Littlerock California

What method of selling do you use? Craigslist or just your known acquaintances? And yeah, there's 8 of us in the family so 12 chickens shouldn't be too much. Thanks!

4. WRanch

WRanch Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2016
    California
    Have you ever checked with your local feed store to see if you can sell eggs through them? They may need to have a special license, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. My local sells eggs from private individuals to the public. They also raise chickens so they sell some of their own eggs too...

5. shober

shober Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    I live in Alhambra (near downtown Los Angeles) and I always sell my eggs when I can! I have sold them to friends in Santa Monica for $5.00 a dozen! Sell them for what you can! I don't know about putting an ad on Craigslist but a little sign outside would work too! Good luck! :thumbsup

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    I'll never ever throw an egg away. They are simply too valuable as a food source. If I don't have customers to purchase them, I can always find a family who would benefit from them, even though they can't pay for them. I gave some pullet eggs to a young family last weekend. They were destined to a lady who is currently out of work, but she was not at church that day, so on my way out the door, I handed them to a man who plays guitar with my hubby. I showed them to him first, so he'd not be surprised to open up the carton and see green and blue eggs, and that they were tiny. He was totally perplexed. Started asking me lots of questions..."Why are they green? Why are they small? Do they taste like a regular egg? They're so small, it would take 6 of them to make a meal ... I told him to just try them, and that I'd be surprised if he ever wanted to eat a store egg again, after eating a real egg. His wife told me that it took a week for that city boy to work up the courage to eat them!

7. gamefowl-layers

Jan 12, 2016
    Littlerock California

I've never asked but now I want too. Hopefully the process won't be too difficult. Thanks

8. gamefowl-layers

Jan 12, 2016
    Littlerock California

Will do! I will test the waters for $5/dz but I'm willing to cut it down to $4 if I'm desperate to sell. Thank you!

9. gamefowl-layers

Jan 12, 2016
    Littlerock California

Wow that's very nice. How old should you start giving them away? And I've never tried green eggs either. I have one Ameraucana but she hasn't laid yet. Still waiting. Thanks for sharing

10. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    First egg!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by