Do chickens almost always hatch at 21 days?

somadlyinlove

Songster
9 Years
Jan 10, 2011
Lake county, California
I have my first broody hens (3 at once) sitting on a total of 11 eggs some are EE some Australorp. and a few mixes 21 days will be up for 8 of them this thursday and the rest Saturday I'm guessing, because my Silkie took a few days to settle down after I moved her when I first got the fertile eggs. I have not candled at all but 1 egg cracked (crushed ) last week and the chick inside was nicely formed to that point.
sad.png
Sorry for her but happy they are fertile. Is 21 day pretty much a sure thing or does it vary?

When I ran my cabinet bator at 102 (thought it needed to be higher temp to warm bottom eggs) i always had chicks hatching on day 18 or at least alot of pips. Sense my cabinet broke down on me and I went back to running a 1588 genesis at 95.5 day 20 my hatches are starting and been over on day 21. This was with small batches of eggs though. Anyways before I start rambling the higher the temp (wihtout cooking them) the faster they form, lower temp, slower they form. I have found that i have less feet/beak issues running the temp around 99.5, not sure if it effects anything like that but i belive it does.

I used to raise horses, 11 months is a long time to wait. Don't know if 21 days will be better or worse. Good to know about the temp difference in respect to hatching and developement. Unbelievable amount of info and help on this forum.

YIKES... Mine ARE like 26days but the Hen is ON & OFF the nest. 5/3 was 21days & ......I am gradually getting a chick one day at a time. well i got 2 so far....I POSTED Under"Chicken Behaviors & Egg Laying" ~TOPIC:}} My 1st Time w/BroodieHen Sitting 26days? } IF YOU CAN HELP ANSWER ??'s Or Give Some Advice Please. * I Type very slow took Forever to type the drama/post the 1st time. Thank you in advanced, ~Julie~
jumpy.gif
D.gif
somadlyinlove, congrats on your broodie hen & Good luck with your babies. My (7)ducklings are 5 days old. GC/Rouen mixed

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom