Do chickens ever lightly peck you just to say "Hello"?

goldenfingers

Crowing
5 Years
Apr 18, 2019
I've noticed that when I go outside and sit down to chat with the girls that they often come over and lightly peck at my pants or shirt for a few moments while I talk to them and they talk back to me. Then they wander off and go about their business as usual. Are they just saying, "Hello, nice to see you again."?

I have one that pecks each time I go in the pen. Never really minded until tonight when she drew blood! I usually bring treats so I figured she was reminding me I didn’t have any but lately her pecks have become a little harder. I can pick her up and she likes to follow me around, so otherwise she is friendly enough.

I've noticed that when I go outside and sit down to chat with the girls that they often come over and lightly peck at my pants or shirt for a few moments while I talk to them and they talk back to me. Then they wander off and go about their business as usual. Are they just saying, "Hello, nice to see you again."?
Yes, I have one that pecks me every time I go into the run area. She follows me around everywhere and in the morning when I clean out the coop, she always comes into the coop with me. She likes for me to pet her and I think she pecks me because she wants me to pay attention to her. She does it when she wants something, like when I am holding a jar of meal worms she pecks the lid.

It's 'cute' until it's not, when someone gets really pecked and is bleeding.
I think it's not a good idea to allow it for that reason.
'Boss hens' aren't pecked by any other bird, except their chicks, and they don't put up with that for long either.
While I'm not a flock member, or part of the 'pecking order', it's rude of the bird to actually peck at me, so it's just not allowed here.
Children and people with fragile skin aren't good recipients of this behavior.
Mary

It's 'cute' until it's not, when someone gets really pecked and is bleeding.
I think it's not a good idea to allow it for that reason.
'Boss hens' aren't pecked by any other bird, except their chicks, and they don't put up with that for long either.
While I'm not a flock member, or part of the 'pecking order', it's rude of the bird to actually peck at me, so it's just not allowed here.
Children and people with fragile skin aren't good recipients of this behavior.
Mary
Lately I agree. Besides blood being drawn yesterday, I have a 6 year old granddaughter who loves to collect eggs and give treats. This week I have started the “pecking “ back with 3 fingers.

Most of mine do that, just my clothing but not my skin, unless they see a spot like dirt or something small on me.
Its usually clothing with any sort of pattern on them, and its usually just my girls that do it.
Zeus my cockerel likes to wipe his beak on me ..weirdo

Most of mine do that, just my clothing but not my skin, unless they see a spot like dirt or something small on me.
Its usually clothing with any sort of pattern on them, and its usually just my girls that do it.
Zeus my cockerel likes to wipe his beak on me ..weirdo
My girl that pecks when she wants something also does that,lol! I wonder what it means?I think she really might want to peck me, but I poked her a few times when she pecked me really hard, so I think she just wipes her beak on me now and pecks the jars or things that she wants.

Back
Top Bottom