Do Chickens Get Married?

This story did not end well. Fox, probably a Red Fox. I showed kids signs indicating fox as we checked her roosting location where captured and what we could deduce for other observations. She and chick were only ones out at night so repeat not likely, but I want young birds out later. We are going to get it.

Be careful...if you plan to bait...put a chicken in a live trap with the trap closed and see if he wishes to return.
The no killing way....butt the closed end of the baited live trap up against a fence with a contained chicken on the other side of the fence ...and you will probably get him.

Be careful...if you plan to bait...put a chicken in a live trap with the trap closed and see if he wishes to return.
The no killing way....butt the closed end of the baited live trap up against a fence with a contained chicken on the other side of the fence ...and you will probably get him.
Fox resolved months ago.

This is such a cute thread, but do hope you have not had to move on to explaining polygamy theory yet. My rooster is currently a monogamist, but I suspect he would be open to broadening his scope of practices if given the option.

The kids have caught on to the polygamy option with the other breeding groups. What is of interest is the bonding that keeps individuals in a group, whether the group is a male-female, male-female-female trio or more on the female side. The bonding is the marriage part. What is clear when multiple groups are kept free-range, is that both sexes exhibit choice and avoid typically avoid associating with those outside their social group. Hens will avoid roosters not of their group and roosters will just as often attack hens outside their group as try to force a mating.

The roosters in eclipse molt are much more inclined to focus effort on one hen and her offspring. The eclipse molt change may be specific to games. The kids are really picking up on details that can play out here.

I don't see why the idea of "explaining" polygamy would be an issue. Children can understand that chickens are not people.
People do polygamy too, to some those people are not people. I want the children to understand / see patterns how social groupings operate. There are behavioral mechanisms at play, often subtle that are essential for harmony.

People do polygamy too, to some those people are not people. I want the children to understand / see patterns how social groupings operate. There are behavioral mechanisms at play, often subtle that are essential for harmony.
Good point, thanks. These are also things children can learn and understand, IMO.

I know that there was some reluctance near the beginning of the thread to cover various societal relationships all at once, but it sounds like you have the issue in hand with the kiddos (and chickens!)

Rooster / cock / male is three years old and heterozygous for the silver allele. The hen / female is just shy of a year old and heterozygous for blue legs. Half of the chicks will be white and half will be blue-legged. Both adults a heterozygous for toppy so only one in for will be without toppy trait. Punnet's square time.

IMG_2020-07-28_09-31-11.jpeg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom