Do chickens get to know their name??

I had one that knew her name. They would be out freeranging, and I'll call, "Chicken HAWWWWWWK!" and she would run from whatever corner of the yard she was at. I think it was more the tone and how I said "hawk" more than anything, though!

Quote:
MNKris, you really would be surprised at how they can learn a few words. I can be sitting at the table, not even acting like I am going anywhere and ask the girls "Do you want OUTSIDE??" and they will race to the front door like a dog does when you say "walk". And boy dont put your shoes and coat on, they KNOW that means your going out and they want out there too. Has nothing to do with food really, they just love being out, even in their pen (which hasnt had a blade of grass since fall). It surprises me even. If dh puts on his coat and shoes, they start dancing around like puppies.
lau.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
They're so funny.

I let my girls freerange now and then - when its WARM enough for me to stand out with them to make sure they don't get into trouble... then the door opens...............

that garage side door, and someone comes though it with a bucket or cup or anything and they're RACING for the door.......... its really funny - if you've not seen a standard chicken RUN - well you need to put in on your "to do" list.....
My bantams still maintain some sense of decorum when they run, they look like ladies still - but not those standards
gig.gif

Mine not only know their names but they can read and a few of them are learning to write.
Their favorite book is "The Little Red Hen". Some of them enjoy reading newspapers and magazines as well. However, they get really upset when they see KFC coupons in the paper.
They have their own TV in the coop and they seem to enjoy Animal Planet except for Crocodile Hunter reruns. He's always feeding chickens to the Crocs.
It's amazing all the things they can do with a brain the size of a peanut!

The ones that know their names are: Sophia, Willow, Holly, Daisy, Rupert and Priscilla. So did Kanga, r.i.p.
Priscilla is a house chicken. She understands the following:
Are you hungry?
Come eat.
Come here.
Go outside.
Let's go inside.
Go to bed.
That's not your bowl. (she steals from the dog bowls)
No!

She definitely knows what I'm saying to my dogs when I ask them if they're hungry. She comes running. If I don't watch her, she will hog the youngest dog's bowl. The oldest dog will hover over his bowl and she waits until he's finished. He's a good boy, he leaves a couple of pieces for her.

all of my girls are great with food association & repeat behavior.
A few of them know their names. This time of year I put a chair in my greenhouse & I often go in there to sit with the chickens. Sometimes they'll all be out in the yard scratching & I'll call them by name, Daphne, Sunny & Marguerite all know their names.
They know up, down & no.
All of my girls also know "go to bed".

great stories here!

Back
Top Bottom