Do chickens groom each other?

DeeBocBoc

In the Brooder
May 16, 2017
I just got my ladies this past spring so everything that I see is new to me. I just went out to check on them and watched one gently pecking at the feathers under another's beak. Both were very calm as this was happening. I am very familiar with cats grooming each other and so I wonder if this is what they were doing. The one being 'groomed' has been on the receiving end of a lot of aggressive pecking of late (she even lost the vision in one eye a few months ago because of this). I've been able to 'successfully' reintroduce her to her sisters but I've been keeping a close watch on them to make sure she is ok, hence why I was able to witness this new behaviour. I'm just curious as to what you experts think this behaviour means.

I had a hen that all she ever wanted to do was clean everybody's beaks. I've even seen this hen licking other hens' beaks! Hens usually will clean the rooster's face. Check your hen for mites. Your hen maybe seeing bugs there and she is eating. Or she could be like my hen and just can't stand somebody's face dirty.

I had a hen that all she ever wanted to do was clean everybody's beaks. I've even seen this hen licking other hens' beaks! Hens usually will clean the rooster's face. Check your hen for mites. Your hen maybe seeing bugs there and she is eating. Or she could be like my hen and just can't stand somebody's face dirty.
Ok thanks for this feedback. Because of the eye issue the vet did a pretty thorough look over her and specifically told me there were no mites. But I am going to tuck that advice away until I need it!

Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

I see lot's of cool behaviors and yes grooming is one of them. :pop

When my boys are separated from the ladies they will let them groom through the fence even. They peck at their wounds but not in a brutal way or intent at least. They did pull off scabs but more like cleaning and definitely NOT cannibalism. I think they will pluck off parasites like lice if the see them too! I don't see why not... some of my hens groom my sweater. :p

I find... the groomer is usually the dominant one. And the other is being submissive. Though it isn't often, I do think SOME develop friendships. It does take a fair amount of trust to let someone peck around your eye and such.

Glad to see you are enjoying chicken TV. :wee It's a wide world of entertainment. The fun and learning never stop! :D

Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

I see lot's of cool behaviors and yes grooming is one of them. :pop

When my boys are separated from the ladies they will let them groom through the fence even. They peck at their wounds but not in a brutal way or intent at least. They did pull off scabs but more like cleaning and definitely NOT cannibalism. I think they will pluck off parasites like lice if the see them too! I don't see why not... some of my hens groom my sweater. :p

I find... the groomer is usually the dominant one. And the other is being submissive. Though it isn't often, I do think SOME develop friendships. It does take a fair amount of trust to let someone peck around your eye and such.

Glad to see you are enjoying chicken TV. :wee It's a wide world of entertainment. The fun and learning never stop! :D
Thank you! Yes, I am very familiar with the behaviours of other animals so what you say makes sense. I think what stumped me was the fact that I've been struggling for months to make sure that Rosemary is safe and then I see this today from one of our more dominant ladies.

It's pretty adorable to watch a hen that is nestled up against a rooster on the roost examining his face and tenderly pecking at it. The rooster is like - "You're paying attention to me; you can do whatever you want."

Back
Top Bottom