Do chickens have heart attacks?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jajika, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Jajika

Jajika Songster

Dec 24, 2007
    Northern California
    Hi All:

A very strange and sad thing happened this morning.

My chickens have a big run, but I still let them out to our larger yard with grass almost daily. They love the change of scenery and eagerly come out to play.

However, this morning, as I let the girls out, one, Cash, a Black Maran, came trotting out from the coop onto the yard. Then suddenly fell onto the ground what looks like a seizure. I ran over to her, she continued and then just died, in what was about 30 seconds.

There has been no indication anything was wrong.
    Any ideas? Has anyone else experienced this?

2. XLoveChickensX

XLoveChickensX Chirping

Oct 8, 2015
    Nebraska
    Hello! I'm sorry about your hen. Yes, poultry can have heart attacks. Once, one of my Uncle's roosters did the same thing. Come out of the coop, have a sudden fall seeming like a seizure, and died. I had a hen that died the same way too before. My hen was fine before the death, she acted normal at first beforehand. I'm not a pro, but I'm not sure what exactly causes the heart-attacks. (Sorry about my bad wording!)

3. True Patriot

True Patriot Sanity is subjective

May 20, 2018
    Liberty Co, Georgia
    My Coop
    Sorry to hear:hugs
    But, yes anything with a heart can have an attack. Generally is related to health, age, and diet.
    Best wishes

4. room onthebroom

room onthebroom Animal-a-holic

May 4, 2015
    Yes, I've lost a perfectly healthy hen to heart attack (aka; Sudden Death Syndrome) It was the shock of a lifetime. I'm sorry for your loss! :hugs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: