Do chickens molt by breed or age?

DDRanch

Songster
12 Years
Feb 15, 2008
California
I can't figure it out. It appears some don't molt at all very much. My old BR and a year old Delaware had a hard molt about a month ago. Now, my old Australorpe is almost naked and a BO appears to be starting.

How does this work? Do they molt by breed, age, weather conditions or ??

Anne

Chickens molt by season the most I think. Mine molt before winter, and then again before summer. To me, it seems as if they are getting their winter and summer clothing, such as a horse does. But, I may not be right, I just thought that because that is when my hens molt.

How long does molt take place?
idunno.gif
1 week 1 month?
Thanks

My California Whites, a small x-breed of the leghorn arn't molting at all? I have been waiting for the feathers to fly but so far, nothing. They seem happy though, so I suppose thats what important and now they are doing freezing temperatures at night so I can't see them dumping all their feathers at this time.

Quote:
How old are they? If they're from this spring, or later, they may not moult until next fall. Or they may have a minor moult in the spring. Some of my younger hens have moulted, some have not.

Mine have always only moulted in the fall, but that may vary with breed and climate. It's possible that mine shed some of the winter down without me noticing. Mine don't slow or stop laying in the spring like they do in the fall.

I have several different breeds, and mixed breeds, they haven't all moulted in sync. I still have afew that don't look like they've even started yet, others are nearly finished growing in new feathers, and everything in between. This has worked out well for me, I haven't had any "eggless" time at all. Just some "minimal egg production". I'm so glad, I haven't had o buy store eggs at all this year.

Back
Top Bottom