Do chickens need food outside?

If it's still well lit inside at dusk, I wouldn't bother.

I do have battery lights inside my coop for my use in winter when it's so gloomy that it's practically dark inside and out.
Ok, we just had a little rain storm and instead of going in the coop they went under it and just didn’t get the idea to go in. At dusk I’m thinking of putting a light in the coop. It’s pretty light out at dusk but nothings working so I don’t know. Do you think I’m just being impatient? Should I just keep bringing them in or do I need to do something else?

Ok, we just had a little rain storm and instead of going in the coop they went under it and just didn’t get the idea to go in. At dusk I’m thinking of putting a light in the coop. It’s pretty light out at dusk but nothings working so I don’t know. Do you think I’m just being impatient? Should I just keep bringing them in or do I need to do something else?

Just keep putting them in through their pop door and they'll get the idea.

It takes time for them to form a habit. :)

For me personally, since I don't intend for them to navigate via artificial light, I don't offer it to them so they need to learn to use the naturally available light in order to get situated in the coop.

I would keep bringing them in in the meantime to teach them that's where to go. If they really don't get it after a couple of weeks, then maybe try the light to see if that helps, but hopefully they will learn that coop = bedtime with enough exposure.

For me personally, since I don't intend for them to navigate via artificial light, I don't offer it to them so they need to learn to use the naturally available light in order to get situated in the coop.

I would keep bringing them in in the meantime to teach them that's where to go. If they really don't get it after a couple of weeks, then maybe try the light to see if that helps, but hopefully they will learn that coop = bedtime with enough exposure.
OK I am at home this week but next week I’m going on vacation so I’ll just tell the pet sitter to keep bringing them in until They get it. Also when do they start perching at night. Mine are almost 5 weeks old and will play on the roost during the day in the morning but will pile up at night to sleep

OK I am at home this week but next week I’m going on vacation so I’ll just tell the pet sitter to keep bringing them in until They get it. Also when do they start perching at night. Mine are almost 5 weeks old and will play on the roost during the day in the morning but will pile up at night to sleep

Make sure that "bringing them in" means putting them through their own pop door rather than carrying them through the human access door.

Also when do they start perching at night. Mine are almost 5 weeks old and will play on the roost during the day in the morning but will pile up at night to sleep

There's no real time table on when they'll start roosting. If there's adult birds (or persistent humans) to teach them, they'll start earlier. My earliest roosting chicks so far have been 4 week olds.

Back
Top Bottom