1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do chickens need night lights?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by TheChickenProject, Jul 25, 2010.

1. TheChickenProject

TheChickenProject Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2010
    I added a 12 foot string of blue rope lighting to the interior of my coop. (4x4 floor). Question is, will the lighting keep them awake? I noticed they didn't settle down until 10:30 last night and only after the light was out. I'm not sure if it was the heat last night or the light.

Do they need a small light or should I just keep them in the dark?

Edited to add: I keep water in the coop at night. Is thier vision so poor as to need light or can I do without?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  2. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Please forgive me:

"do chickens need night lights?"

Not unless they're reading a really good book.

Not unless they're afraid of the dark.

Seriously , No.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  3. TheChickenProject

May 20, 2010
    set myself up for that one!

4. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    NO, they do not need a night light. You've noticed they go in and get situated before dark. That is because they can not see in the dark. They DON'T need to see in the dark. [​IMG]

5. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    x

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  6. ncgrad00

ncgrad00 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2010
    Salem
    Mine have a night light and it helps the new chicks find the roosts. I have 6 8 week old chicks and they slept in the nesting boxes until 5 days ago. I got electricity to my coop and put a night light in. Now they sleep on the roost with the other 3 hens. I think night lights are a good idea just make sure it is not too bright. I think mine is 4 watts.

7. TheChickenProject

May 20, 2010
    Rozzie, thanks for the reply. I went with setting the timer to turn the lights out one hour after dusk. This allowed them to settle before "lights out". I agree with supplementing the natural lighting and have solar lights surrounding the outside of the coop which helps with this.

8. burntmuch

burntmuch Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2010
    Montrose MI
    I wondered the same thing. I bought a cheap solar landscape light. Cut a 2 inch by 2 inch hole in the south wall of the coop & glued the light into the hole. Seems to work good. I dont know how long it stays lit. It gives out just enough light so the chickens can see the roost. My hens wouldnt go into the coop until I put it in.

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    They don't need light in their coop. I've heard people say they leave lights in the coop "in case a predator gets in...so the chickens can defend themselves". Build a coop like Ft. Knox and no predators should be getting in.

10. EZZIEMAE

EZZIEMAE Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2010
    WESTERN NEW YORK
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by