Audreyschickens

In the Brooder
Nov 28, 2018
Hi! I already have 11 chickens and I have a different section away from them where i planned on raising ducks. We ordered 4 from Metzer farms and they will arrive soon. But, we just rescued 2 chicks and since my flock of 11 is already established i was wondering if i could have the ducks and 2 new chickens live together. i was hoping to take the food and water out at night for the ducks so they don't make a mess, but now I'm not so sure since the chickens will most likely be with them. Also, will the chickens try to swim or go into the duck's pond? Any suggestions or ideas would be wonderful!

They will be fine. I do not have water available overnight due to cold weather and mess from the ducks and I haven't had an issue.

Chickens don't like going into deep water, as a general rule.

Most chickens aren't swimmers--so I would worry about drowning. More ventilation is needed for ducks because they are usually wet. A male duck can kill a female hen mating--not sure if you are getting any boys.

Technically if it's dark chickens are t moving around to drink because of poor vision but mine do move around st night all the time without issues.

Most chickens aren't swimmers--so I would worry about drowning. More ventilation is needed for ducks because they are usually wet. A male duck can kill a female hen mating--not sure if you are getting any boys.

Technically if it's dark chickens are t moving around to drink because of poor vision but mine do move around st night all the time without issues.
ok thanks for letting me know! we aren't getting any males.

Plus as they are babies you won't have to worry about that for quite some time. How old are the rescue chicks compared to the ducklings? If they are close in age then should be ok. Just keep an eye on them to make sure they get along.

Also, and this will be the hard part, try an make sure the ducklings can't soak the bedding. One of the hard parts about raising ducklings and chicks together is the ducklings soaking the bedding which causes the chicks to get cold.

What are you feeding them? Flock raiser is probably your best bet, but it still couldn't hurt to supplement Niacin for the Ducklings.

Back
Top Bottom