Do chickens pass urine that is visible on the ground?

Cheep

Songster
9 Years
Jul 17, 2010
Sebastopol, CA
Just wondering, because a couple of their poops are surrounded by clear water (not diarrhea - I'm a nurse & know the difference)
We don't talk about their kidney function much
big_smile.png

hi cheep
i think they do i have the same thing with all mine i think they pass urine within their poop
i found that the bedding always has a yellow stain around where the poop lands so i reckon its poop but it will be interesting to hear what others have to say bec i agree with you we dont talk much about kidney functions

I had such a wet spot in my coop this spring I thought for sure they were all peeing in the corner:lol: turns out we had a leak. But yes I think your summation is correct, some times it is wetter they others .

Their urine usually has a whitish cast to it, but in this heat my girls are drinking lots of water, and by the evening, the stools will be solids in water. At least I know they aren't dehydrating.With this heat, I place large blocks of ice (size of Glad bowls) in the waterer morning and afternoon. If the water gets hot, I will see dryish poop and know to get them cool water.

Besides that, I always hold the bird out from me for the first minute or so until they poop, and then I place them in my lap for pets or inspections. My Roo would poop on me deliberately from the time he was 3 wks old until he was promoted to head roo. I swear he would strain until he made his mess. He was the only chick that did that.

Back
Top Bottom