Do chickens poop and lay eggs out of the same hole

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rooster#3, Sep 26, 2009.

1. Rooster#3

Rooster#3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    wisconsin
    I know it is a stupid question but Do they?

2. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    Yes.

3. Terri

Terri Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2008
    Level Cross, NC
    yes

4. twister

twister Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Mississippi
    from what I have read, and i am no expert by any means,... yes, but the egg tube inverts to allow for the egg to pass, then reverts for poo... basically, the poo and egg do not ever go down the same tube. ( my interpretation may be off, so i am interested to read what others say about it)

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:Yes, that sounds right. The exit opening is the same, but they come from different routes inside (obviously eggs aren't part of the digestive tract), and only one "route" would be used at a time. So if an egg ever has poop on it, it happened afterwards. At least that's MY understanding...

1 person likes this.
  6. Hope119

Hope119 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    How true is that? One of our pullets always has poop on her eggs, while eggs are in clean nests and other eggs don't have poop. It feels like the poop got on them while inside the hen.

7. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    Quote:I think the poop gets on them while they are straining to lay....

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Yep, poop on the eggs happens because they step on them or brush them with dirty feet, or they poop before or after laying. When a chicken is laying, it cannot possibly poop at the same time. [​IMG]

9. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    Backyard Poultry Magazine had an article on this complete with illustrations. I don't know if you can find it on line or not. It is the same hole but not the same tube and when an egg is laid the poop port is closed off. I know I am repeating what others have said.....that's cause there are smart folks on here and they didn't need to read an article like I did. (It's kinda like male anatomy when you think about it....they excrete 2 different substances from the same orifice but not at the same time.) Glad God rigged both these critters up so both functions could not go on at the same time....just saying.

1 person likes this.
  10. eggdd

eggdd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    (It's kinda like male anatomy when you think about it....they excrete 2 different substances from the same orifice but not at the same time.) Glad God rigged both these critters up so both functions could not go on at the same time....just saying.

i heart you.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by