Do Chickens Really Need a Run?

Do Chickens Really Need a Run?

• Yes

Votes: 24 82.8%
  • No

Votes: 5 17.2%

• Total voters
... they don't need a run. All they need are water, food and shelter. Those 3 things are only limited by what we're able to provide. The quality is 100% debatable.
X2
I would just add that in addition to water, food and shelter - they also need adequate fresh air (which doesn't always happen in a building) and predator protection.

So to answer the OPs question in the thread title, no, they don't need a run. All they need are water, food and shelter. Those 3 things are only limited by what we're able to provide. The quality is 100% debatable.
They also need protection from predators...maybe that falls under 'shelter'.
All of it can vary greatly depending on climate and predator load.

All chickens need to survive is food, water, shelter, air, and predator/disease protection. Same as most animals. I'm fairly sure they also need social interaction? Chickens eventually die if kept on their own, right?
If you want them to be content birds and as stress-free as possible, they need room to move, and enrichment.

One of the reasons I like the old books is not only did they describe the structure but also give instructions on which way it should be facing and why. That and anything that is now public domain is available online (mostly). @brksmith posted a little while back a topic I found interesting. Led me to this book. Not to argue against or for a specific set up, it gave various designs. I left it on the specific page to show a house design that essential doubles the square footage by taking advantage of a two story interior.
https://archive.org/details/poultryarchitect00fisk/page/56

Another factor to consider is egg quality. Nothing compares to pasture raised eggs.
IMO, if you can get your hens out on grass, your eggs will be superior quality and better for you.
Here are definitions used for commercial eggs:
  • Caged: Hens are confined to cages with a 67-square inch space each. They never see the light of day and consume a corn or soy diet. Over 90 percent of eggs in the U.S.come from hens that are kept in cages for their entire egg-laying lives.
  • Cage-Free: These ladies have more room than caged hens, since each is given less than 1 square foot. Still, they’re not entirely “free,” since they’re confined to barns and consume a corn or soy diet.
  • Free-Range: Allotted less than 2 square feet per hen, these animals have more space than their caged and cage-free peers, but they don’t get outdoors as much as you may think. Some seldom get to see the light of day and many eat a corn- or soy-based feed.
  • Pasture-Raised: These ladies are given at least 108 square feet each and consume some feed and lots of grass, bugs, worms and anything else they can find in the dirt. They tend to be let out of the barns early in the morning and called back in before nightfall.
"Pastured-raised hens also produce healthier eggs, according to a 2003 study out of Pennsylvania State University. In it, researchers found that one pasture-raised egg contains twice as much omega-3 fat, three times more vitamin D, four times more vitamin E and seven times more beta-carotene than eggs from hens raised on traditional feed."
from Certified Humane website
I never knew this and I feel like these places that advertise "cage-free" eggs are misleading people about what it means. Would love to know the source of this so I could share it other places

I never knew this and I feel like these places that advertise "cage-free" eggs are misleading people about what it means. Would love to know the source of this so I could share it other places
I don't remember but if you google the terms cage free, free range, etc, you'll find the standard rules for labelling commercial eggs.

Runs provide access to the outdoors for chickens in confinement, but are they really necessary?
I understand that if a chicken is free range they may not need a run. That's not the focus of my question. I am wondering about chickens who do not free range, who are captive 24/7.
Assuming that a coop meets adequate ventilation and square footage.
I've kept large fowl birds always with a run and adequate coop. I've never, ever given my bantams (now deceased) runs. Not even my breeding pens. What would be the considerations for going without a run? Would certain breeds not be advisable for this method? Is it detrimental to the health of the birds?
If toys are added, or flock blocks or other distractions, maybe the birds won't get too bored. Would a rooster overbreed hens in confinement?
With us approaching spring, and coop plans on the horizon, I feel this is an important topic to cover. All insight is welcome, participation is encouraged.
Some examples of coops with and without runs.
View attachment 1632504
14547-1.jpg

A good read on the subject: https://richsoil.com/raising-chickens.jsp

This discussion is not meant to be about critiquing me, it is meant to be an informative discussion for all readers.
chickens are generally safer from predators in a pen though i have noticed my girls lay better when free ranging. i sometimes let them free range if i'm going to be outside so that i can watch my dog(who will kill them if i'm not looking) or chase off hawks. at the end of the day they go to their coop on their own and i close the pen or if i have to somewhere i can easily get them back to the coop by calling them. there's pros and cons to free ranging. it really depends on what you you're dealing with in your area.

Back
Top Bottom