do chickens talk back ?

Pics

pinecone33

Chirping
Aug 1, 2022
Västra Götaland Sverige
I know this may sound weird but do chickens talk back or talk with us? whenever mine see me (the ones that i raised from when they were baby chicks not the older ones in the flock) walk up to me and start making small clucking noises and look at me and like tilt their head or if I talk first they reply and they come up close and look at me and sometimes try to eat things off me or rub their beak on me or sit across me and do small clucking noises I can’t tell if this is normal for chickens or if they’re communicating something but advice would be super helpful ty 😅 the cockerels do this too not just the pullets if that helps

Attachments

• 2022-09-17_07-07-55.jpg
    2022-09-17_07-07-55.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 243
I know this may sound weird but do chickens talk back or talk with us? whenever mine see me (the ones that i raised from when they were baby chicks not the older ones in the flock) walk up to me and start making small clucking noises and look at me and like tilt their head or if I talk first they reply and they come up close and look at me and sometimes try to eat things off me or rub their beak on me or sit across me and do small clucking noises I can’t tell if this is normal for chickens or if they’re communicating something but advice would be super helpful ty 😅 the cockerels do this too not just the pullets if that helps
I have ducks, so it’s a little different, but I assume they are just communicating with you like any other animal would. Like maybe they miss you, or they are hungry, or bored, or just want to chirp at you. If you raised them since chicks they probably think you are their mom or a protector for them so they trust you. They are like little puppies with scaly feet.

Some do, yes. I have a chatterbox that sometimes follows me around and just squawks loudly (a few others do it, but with much softer sounds). Her worst habit is sometimes if hubby and I are both out there and talking to each other, she'll decide to join in the conversation - if we tell her "Enough!" or yell her name, she'll hop up on a roost so she can scream louder and closer to eardrum height, until it's impossible to talk at all.

I am convinced pullets ‘talk’ (or talk back) to me. Two of my bielefelders, Livvy and Sweets, follow me whenever I’m out and about. Sweets gives a very cute quiet chirping and will answer when I talk to her. She will jump to a perch to get closer and look me in the eye as we ‘talk’. She is like a dog, always near. Livvy is much louder with a long crescendo rapsy rrruuuupp rruup rup sound…actually several birds do that, but she’s another shadow.
I have one light brahma pullet that growls! I often retort back with ‘go lay an egg grumpy’

I like to have "conversations" with all of my pets, cats and dog included.

For the chickens though, most of mine are still young enough that they make little cheepy sounds, especially a Whiting True Green named Toast that is 2.5 months. She chirps very lightly but constantly when she hops in my lap and sits down for pets. I like to think she's telling me a story, so our conversation is something like "Hi, Toast!" *cheep cheep cheep* "Oh, goodness. Tell me about it!" *cheep cheep cheep* "Oh, really?" *cheep cheep* "Well, what happened after that?" *cheep cheep cheep cheep* "Uh huh, what did you think about that?" *cheep cheep cheep* "Oh wow, and what did you do next?" *cheep cheep cheep*

My oldest girls just hit 3 months and the most mature one (so far) sounds like a honking goose right now, so those conversations are also fun because I can't take her seriously.

Just yesterday I had a lovely conversation with my broody Black Australorp Ruth. I pried her off the nest and set her on the ground. As I petted the growling, angry, flattened pancake I talked to her about being broody on infertile eggs and how pretty she is and how I miss her beautiful dark brown eggs. I told her I didn't want to see her all skinny with her tummy bald. She started very sweetly clucking and closing her eyes.
I then gently patted her butt and told her to get back to work!

My Barred Rocks, Pepper and Oreo, talk to me every time I go into or even near their coop. It's actually hilarious! I think they are telling me about their day and how much they missed me because they follow me around and just chatter the entire time I am out there with them. I also have Easter Eggers and they do not talk, they just follow me. My flock is 18 weeks old and I have had them since they were 3 days old, so I am guessing they all bonded with me. I love it! :love

Some do, yes. I have a chatterbox that sometimes follows me around and just squawks loudly (a few others do it, but with much softer sounds). Her worst habit is sometimes if hubby and I are both out there and talking to each other, she'll decide to join in the conversation - if we tell her "Enough!" or yell her name, she'll hop up on a roost so she can scream louder and closer to eardrum height, until it's impossible to talk at all.
Maybe she was trying to tell you that she had a bad day?

Back
Top Bottom