do chickens talk back ?

There are wild birds that even talk to me.

The Crows will carry on quite lively when hawks are around, that's normal. But these Crows saw me chasing hawks away from my flock & now as 4 Crows yell & dive bomb the hawk, 1 or 2 Crows will fly to me, yell & bob their heads & fly towards hawk, look back at me like, Hey are you coming over? Hurry up then! They even know when I'm in the house, they'll sit on the deck right by the back door & yell for me to hurry up & get back out there. If I am in one of the outbuildings they'll holler outside that door! It's amazing.

There's also a grey Cat bird family that I've befriended, been coming here for a few years. The female is especially friendly but the male also "talks" to me now & then. I know exactly what the birds are trying to tell me. There are distinct loud & different chirps for the following:

* The birdbath needs water...urgent short chirps with flying quickly from the birdbath, to the hose bib & to me

* The birdbath is dirty & needs cleaning...chirps followed by a "whaaaaa" in a tone that can only be described as disappointed in me that I dropped the ball on cleaning duties

* My baby is on the ground & the neighbor's cat is headed this way...very loud, quick alarming chirps with fluttering wings jumping right in front of me then running on the ground from my yardwork towards the cat's direction, or staring at me then looking at her baby, as the Cat Bird's mate is screeching while dive bombing the cat. When she looks at her baby then back at me, I will scoop the baby up & place in the large Butterfly Bush, which is also near the bird bath, a large Pine, a Magnolia & Crepe Myrtle & a few Hydrangeas. Momma makes her nests near this area & babies do better hanging out there while in their fledgling stage.

* It's the hawk...loud wailing screech that mimics the hawk, Cat Bird staring at me then looking in the direction of the hawk, while Cat Bird's mate is also screeching while dive bombing the hawk, who obviously was not successful trying to get some peace & hide out in a tree.

I've made a kiss sound when tossing a few mealworms for the Cat Bird's, so now they make kiss sounds when they want a treat.

Blue Jay's & squirrels also raise a ruckus when hawks show up. The little Sparrows & Barn Swallows will join in dive bombing hawks during nesting season.

It's quite amazing, their ability & willingness to communicate. I love it! ❤️

Last edited:
I know this may sound weird but do chickens talk back or talk with us? whenever mine see me (the ones that i raised from when they were baby chicks not the older ones in the flock) walk up to me and start making small clucking noises and look at me and like tilt their head or if I talk first they reply and they come up close and look at me and sometimes try to eat things off me or rub their beak on me or sit across me and do small clucking noises I can’t tell if this is normal for chickens or if they’re communicating something but advice would be super helpful ty 😅 the cockerels do this too not just the pullets if that helps
Mine talk to me too. And I talk to them. “Hey girlfriends!”Sometimes they are fussy towards me too. Sounds like a bark! I say happy hens are quiet hens, yet that’s not always the case. I love getting to care for them. As a retired nurse, it’s better than 24 geriatric patients on night shift .

To put it simply yes they talk to you… they communicate with you and they are chatterbox’s lol… most of my flock do it with me and my partner… the ducks included… if they are spoken to frequently since young they do learn the English language and can understand you… it’s up to you to learn how to speak chicken (or duck) to work out what they are saying back to you… like cats chickens have different sounds for different things… one of my boys makes this bock bock boocck noise when he wants cuddles where as one of my isa girls will just peck my bum until I pay her attention and ask her how she is today… 🤣🤣🤣….

Mine talk to me too. And I talk to them. “Hey girlfriends!”Sometimes they are fussy towards me too. Sounds like a bark! I say happy hens are quiet hens, yet that’s not always the case. I love getting to care for them. As a retired nurse, it’s better than 24 geriatric patients on night shift .
Do you find that the girls are just like the old woman… once they start having a chat it’s hard to walk away… lol 😂… I guess that’s where the sayings “mothers meeting” and “chatty old hen” come from…🤣🤣🤣

Do you find that the girls are just like the old woman… once they start having a chat it’s hard to walk away… lol 😂… I guess that’s where the sayings “mothers meeting” and “chatty old hen” come from…🤣🤣🤣
😆 🤣 😂
Pick a little, talk a little, pick a little, talk a little,
Cheep, cheep, cheep,
Talk alot, pick a little more 😆 🤣 😂

Back
Top Bottom