Do chicks need grit to eat yogurt?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Felicitas, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Felicitas

Felicitas Chillin' With My Peeps

The topic title says it all. My chicks are nearly a week old and I'd love to give them a little yogurt, but, I don't want to harm them. Thanks in advance!

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    IMO, no. I didn't start offering grit until they were getting treats that required grinding up.

3. jhm47

jhm47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Actually, grit is often not required at all. The main time that it is required is when the birds are eating extremely hard seeds, like sorghum or very hard textured whole corn. It can actually be detrimental to very small chicks, since it takes up valuable space in their tiny digestive systems, and limits the amount of digestable food in them. Something soft, like yogurt would never need grit. You are to be commended for trying to care for your birds so well. Good luck!

4. auracana07

auracana07 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2008
    Grit is just something you can give your chickens but don't give your chicks any. I hardly even give my full growns any.

5. antlers

antlers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2008
    East Cent Minnesota
    Grit is something you give to replace teeth. If it does not need mashing or grinding, it does not need grit. Think 'Stuff with Cellulose".

6. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Grit isn't just something you can give them it is required if they are eating a varied diet. Probably not for yogurt but for any seeds, grains, or plant matter they need it. Chickens cannot grind up food without grit so it is a requirement for any food that would otherwise require chewing. Free range chickens can get most of their grit on their own although I still prefer to provide some.

I give my chicks fine sand for grit when I start giving treats. I just make sure they are eating their chick starter well before starting treats and grit.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  7. Felicitas

Felicitas Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks everyone! I gave them a little yogurt earlier and they weren't sure what to do with it. Mostly they just walked through it. After a while, a few of them did try eating it. I'll give it another shot in a few days.

8. CrookedAcresChick

CrookedAcresChick Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2009
    Charlton, NY
    Hi,
    I'm just wondering if your chicks ever adjusted to wanting yogurt? I'm going to try it out on my 3 week olds tonight! They are so much fun!

9. cochinbantam-lover

cochinbantam-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    It says at Murray McMurray in the care guide for chicks to start feeding grit on the third day! Many different thoughts on this topic so confusing.
    My chicks are 4 days today and I sprinkled a little grit on the floor and on top their starter. I sure hope it's ok, but I don't think MM would tell you to feed it if it wasn't safe for your babies.

10. LilbitChicken

LilbitChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Interesting....I have also heard just a teaspoon from the dirt outside, where they will any way...gives them a little natural grit, if they need it. I still don't think week old chicks need it! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by