Do chicks need grit?

Sundari

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 18, 2009
Denver, CO
I have some friends that will be getting chicks soon, and I want to give good advice.

I didn't feed my chicks grit. They ate medicated chick feed, veggie scraps, and the occasional worms (dirt included) that I caught for them outside. (Now they spend their days out in the barnyard, so I know they're getting enough rough stuff.)

Some websites say to give chicks grit, but my Storey's Guide doesn't mention it. What do you think?

If they are eating foods other than their chick starter and they don't have access to dirt to find their own grit, then yes they need to have it offered.

Use grit & starter feed it helps in chick digestion.
wink.png

I remember being told to buy grit specifically for chicks. But when I went to my feed store they didn't have any "chick grit," just regular grit. Is it ok to feed chicks regular grit, or do they need something special?

if chickens are on dirt no need for grit . if nit just put a little sand in feed once a month.

Like Pandora said if you can't find chick grit parakeet grit will do. You want it to be the plain parakeet grit, not the kind fortified with extra calcium.
When my chicks were little and before they were on the ground much, I just went out to our gravel driveway and scooped up a pan of dirt with small pebbles in it. They would dustbathe in it first and then pick out their grit.

Back
Top Bottom