Do chicks take dust baths?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by GlitterKitty, Aug 2, 2010.

1. GlitterKitty

GlitterKitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    My chick looks like she's taking a dust bath... but I wanna make sure. Here's a video [​IMG]

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

How cute is that??? [​IMG] Yep, thats what it looks like. They do love to dust bathe! [​IMG]

3. GlitterKitty

Nov 21, 2009
    b.hromada :

How cute is that??? [​IMG] Yep, thats what it looks like. They do love to dust bathe! [​IMG]

Oh good! I was worried she has something wrong LOL I didn't know, I never saw my other chicks do this [​IMG]

4. TurtleChick

TurtleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Tacoma, WA
    [​IMG] so cute! yep, dust bathing!!!

i love chicks dustbathing (and sunbathing....) - but i think the fact that she's dust bathing in nothing but a towel is hilarious!!!

5. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    That is really cute. My 3 week olds are spending several hours a day in the run/coop area outside. Yesterday about noon it got too hot for them out there (100), so I brought them back into the brooder where they ALL used the dustbath I provided them. They were on grass and real dirt outside and waited for the dustbath (shaking head and sighing) inside. They were filthy.

[​IMG]

back row: un-named Delaware, Lily the EE, Vic the GLW, and in front, Angel the Delaware. By the time they were done, dust was everywhere. I think they like the DE and sand in the dirt mixture I made for them. I supose they will expect a dirt bath area in the run when they move outside permanently in a couple of weeks.

6. chicknduck

chicknduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    Cute video. [​IMG]

7. GlitterKitty

Nov 21, 2009
    Quote:Cute!

8. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Isn't that cute! Almost scarry if you don't know what they're doing.

9. GlitterKitty

Nov 21, 2009
    Quote:Yes! LOL

10. FiveHens

FiveHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    So cute! [​IMG].......does she have any dust??? [​IMG]

You can make chickie dust baths out of shallow pans with dust or sand. You should make them one!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by