Do cochins have problems mating?

chickenfever

Songster
11 Years
Jul 22, 2008
Arizona
This may seem like a wierd question, but are cochin roos able to get the job done when it comes to mating. I love my cochin roo, and wouldn't mind getting rid of my BA roo, but the few times I've seen my cochin roo try to get it on w/one of the hens, he fails miserably. He just seems to big, clumsy,and fluffy. Is this a problem w/cochins?

Mine must have had a talk with Dr ruth because there is no problems with them mating with the girls. If you have standard hens i could see him having a problem but im sure iwth time and practice he will get it soon

I do believe that it is. I have cochins. Someone is testing fertlity for me and they said that it wasn't very good. So now I get to trim butt fluff.....

Master S.M.C :

Im not sure but it might so, try plucking the feathers around the vents to help.

I wouldn't pluck.......I would "trim" them.​

I have had no problem.
and good hatches also two of the hens are sitting
one on 7 eggs and the other on 5
so I am letting them sit even tho its 30 in the coop
and snow on the ground, I.have heat lamp on the water
will see what happens had
the other hatches in warmer weather.
My boys are doing what comes naturally.

It could just be that my boy's are still learning then
idunno.gif

Quote:
Is he young? My guy is huge and seems to do just fine
smile.png
I hatched some of his offspring too so I know he's doing "it" just fine.

It took him a long time to mature compared to my other roos, maybe he's just getting the hang of it?
Poor guy.

on the hen if u wont her to have fertile eggs you have to cut the feathers off here vent for the rooster to put semen in her

It's all about how much fluff your boy is working with
big_smile.png
Hatchery cochins, most likely, wouldn't have a problem but it seems the nicer the quality, the more the fluff, the more problems they have.

Back
Top Bottom