1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do cochins have problems mating?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenfever, Feb 2, 2009.

1. chickenfever

chickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Arizona
    This may seem like a wierd question, but are cochin roos able to get the job done when it comes to mating. I love my cochin roo, and wouldn't mind getting rid of my BA roo, but the few times I've seen my cochin roo try to get it on w/one of the hens, he fails miserably. He just seems to big, clumsy,and fluffy. Is this a problem w/cochins?

2. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Mine must have had a talk with Dr ruth because there is no problems with them mating with the girls. If you have standard hens i could see him having a problem but im sure iwth time and practice he will get it soon

3. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    I do believe that it is. I have cochins. Someone is testing fertlity for me and they said that it wasn't very good. So now I get to trim butt fluff.....

4. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    Im not sure but it might so, try plucking the feathers around the vents to help.

5. Barnyard

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Master S.M.C :

Im not sure but it might so, try plucking the feathers around the vents to help.

I wouldn't pluck.......I would "trim" them.​

6. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    I have had no problem.
    and good hatches also two of the hens are sitting
    one on 7 eggs and the other on 5
    so I am letting them sit even tho its 30 in the coop
    and snow on the ground, I.have heat lamp on the water
    will see what happens had
    the other hatches in warmer weather.
    My boys are doing what comes naturally.

7. Barnyard

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    It could just be that my boy's are still learning then [​IMG]

8. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:Is he young? My guy is huge and seems to do just fine [​IMG] I hatched some of his offspring too so I know he's doing "it" just fine.

It took him a long time to mature compared to my other roos, maybe he's just getting the hang of it?
    Poor guy.

9. blackrooster

blackrooster Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2009
    ky
    on the hen if u wont her to have fertile eggs you have to cut the feathers off here vent for the rooster to put semen in her

10. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    It's all about how much fluff your boy is working with [​IMG] Hatchery cochins, most likely, wouldn't have a problem but it seems the nicer the quality, the more the fluff, the more problems they have.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by